WoW ~ noise cancelling headphones ~ just WoW

I am having the weirdest day today, so in truth, I have absolutely no idea if it’s the headphones that are having this effect on me or something else. 

I have no idea what’s going on today. The shock of that wellbeing woman seeing me one way while I saw me another, has sent shock waves through my system that I think have distorted my brain waves. 

I also took my second Ritalin yesterday, which worked amazingly well again. I made a good start on my new course work. And it always leaves me feeling more relaxed the next day as well, when I take a Ritalin. 

But I’ve been out and bought headphones and honestly, it’s like I’m a different person. But I can’t work out if it’s the headphones or something to do with all this other weird stuff that’s going on. 

I’ll guess we’ll have to see. But so far so good. I don’t even want to take the headphones off. I keep taking them off to test what the noise is like without them, and it’s definitely loud. It’s like, it’s no wonder I couldn’t concentrate with all that noise going on. It’s like day and night. However did I manage without them? 

And they feel so comfortable. As if they add a level of comfort that I never knew I needed! 

I’ll let you know how I get on with them over the next few days, but my first reaction is, how in the hell did I live so long without them? Lol! 

• Lol! My son caught me yesterday and videoed me, without me knowing, so it's on either snap chat or Facebook! I wasn't on the street, I was in my house, but I was giving it my all! Lol! 

Yeah, people are used to me being weird. I love it because it's like having a licence to do what you want. 

If I don't have music playing, I sing the same line, over and over again, and I generally get the words wrong. 

• I don't need headphones. It's one of my quirks, people are used to it around here. Thing is you can barely hear me. It's worse when I have something instrumental, and I catch myself doing this semi-beatbox, making odd noise thing. At least I don't do it loud!

• I feel these headphones really are turning me into the village idiot JoyJoyJoy ~ I am walking down the street singing along to my favourite hymn songs, actions and all Laughing ~ I love it! If you see a video on Facebook of a woman madly singing, out of tune, while walking down the street, it’s probably me! 

• Who knew?!?!? Lol! What a discovery eh! I’m glad you’re getting the benefit from them as well Blush

• I feel the same way with headphones!

• Yes, I was walking down the street and I suddenly noticed the cars and buses and it was like they were all kind of silently moving past, one at a time ~  it’s almost like it slows everything down. And thinking about that, they probably do help slow everything down because we’re not being bombarded with all the noise. 

I had two people helping me and to me, it appeared they were on the spectrum, we had a great time, but I also had lots of time to myself, trying them all on before that, they just gave me the extra info that helped me make up my mind. For example, the guy tried them on as well, so I could see what they were like on. 

• I spent ages trying them on hoping one of the staff members working there wouldn't come over to try and 'help' because I wanted to have the experience and decide all on my own!

I understand what you mean about it feeling like it's snowing. I feel like the buses and cars are tiptoeing past me gently and calmly one at a time.

They really are great and it's nice to have a bit more control over the outside world :)

• Yes, Yes, and Yes! I can relate to all of that. And it was curry’s I went to also. Up and down the isle, trying them all on. I feel like I’m in winter wonderland when I’m walking down the street as it feels so gentle and soft like it does when it’s snowing. And honestly, I could not believe the noise in the coffee shop when I kept taking them off. It was horrendous. It’s unbelievable how I’ve managed all these years. They really have made a huge difference to my life already and I’m about to listen to my first asmr through them :) 

Glad you got some as well. They’re really great aren’t they :) 

It’s a brand new sensory experience in itself, which I like. For example, in the coffee shop, it was really weird. A woman sat near me talking on her phone and it sounded like it was in my head! Lol! It was really weird. It was so much fun though. And I felt like they give me another sense of security some how, and I like it. I really like them. I’m really pleased with my purchase and very grateful and pleased I took the plunge. 

• Hello

The title of this post made me smile because it was exactly my reaction in Currys last week when I tried on noise-cancelling heaphones.

I usually wear ear defenders but at the moment things are especially difficult and they still let in too much noise causing intense and regular meltdowns so I had been looking for something to help keep things calmer. I researched noise-cancelling headphones and went to a nearby shop just to test them. I didn't really believe/understand that they could be better than what I had, especially with some of the prices of them. I tried on every pair in the shop and nearly cried at how much of  difference they make compared to non-electronic ear defenders. It was the most beautiful thing that has ever happened to my ears/brain. They were next to the stereo aisle which really helped with noticing the difference!

I took photographs of all the ones that I felt were most effective for me and checked with somebody which ones I could afford. I was given reassurance that if they improved things then they would be completely worth the money. I chose some that didn't make an electonic buzzing noise in noise-cancelling mode (some of the cheaper ones did this). I have hardly taken them off since.

I keep taking them off as well to check that the world really is a noisy place and it wasn't just my brain making a fuss, and they have helped me be a bit more tolerant in crowded streets too.

I hope they keep working for you :)

• Little update. I’ve just come out for a little walk, to the coffee shop, trialling out the headphones. 

I lHeart eyesve them. I had a YouTube video playing on my walk, and it took me a while to realise, how quite everything was. It’s a bit like walking outside when there’s a heavy snow fall that’s settled. 

The sound quality of the YouTube video was excellent, and sooooo, ‘not’ distracting, so it took me a little while to realise how soft and quiet everything else was.

I’m now in the coffee shop, and after a bit of jiggery pokery, trying to turn the sound off so I could order (still getting used to them!), I love them in here as well. I can still hear noise, with only noise cancellation on, but it’s so much softer and gentler.

This is a whole new sensory experience in itself. But honestly, it made such a difference walking down the street. I guess I just learned to somehow tolerate the noise, for so long, that I didn’t realise how much it was affecting me. It’s like the cars were like toy cars, moving almost silently by. Whereas normally, they’re like snipers coming from all directions to make me jump and look around etc. 

So, so far, so good :) 

• I got them because I realised that I have behaviours that match that of adhd, and apparently (I didn’t know this before I got them), but if you take them and you have adhd, you’ll get the benefits. And if you’re not, you won’t. So it’s a bit like a test really.

So I haven’t got a prescription of my own yet. Somebody gave me the two I took. But I’m waiting for an appointment with the adhd psychiatrist for him to write me a prescription. 

It helps with concentration. I relax to a degree I didn’t know existed and the speed of the thoughts slows down dramatically. And for me, it calms me down, but in a different way to what the anti depressants did. 

I’m still happy, I’m still me, I’m just not as hyper, so my memory is better and I’m more able to just get on with things. Whereas the anti depressants did slow the speed of the thoughts down but they also dulled me down. It was as if they took away my imagination, and I wasn’t so much relaxed as zonked out. I don’t want them long term, just enough (hopefully/maybe Shrug tone1‍♀️) to help me get back to meditation etc. 

• I can’t remember what they’re called ~ hang on, I’ll have a look ~ QC 35. 

I’m not sure yet, how I’m going to use them, to be honest. I simply recognised that noise, even the noise a house makes (that most people don’t hear) impacts on me, so I figured I’d give the headphones a try. So I’ll be trying them out in all situations and see how I get on with them. Last night, I sat with them on for most of the evening, without music or anything, but with the noise cancelling on, and I loved it. 

However, I also recognised that I won’t necessarily want them on all the time. Which is a relief! Lol! I thought I was going to turn into the headphones wearing person! lol! 

So I think they’re going to become a close companion of mine, at least for the foreseeable future, as I try them out. I’m going for a bit of a walk to a coffee shop shortly, so that’s two more situations I’ll be trying them in. 

• Good news!

Can I ask - and I know it's probably a silly question - what you have the Ritalin for?  I've often wondered if it would make a difference to my poor concentration span.

• I've had Bose QC20 earbuds for about a fortnight now and they are great - took some getting used to though because it felt to me like all the air was being sucked out of my ears! I use them in combination with music or sounds of waterfalls and they do provide a cocoon of quiet even in a noisy office - the only problem there being that even that cocoon gets fatiguing if you have to live in it for 8 hours!

What model did you get & where do you intend to use them ?

• Yeah, I like the motor way too. I like any kind of travel. Literally. I’m a traveller, so even if I’m walking, I’m happy. 

I’m really happy with my lap top, and printer. The woman was great. 

I also met a really gorgeous young man, in a cafe I have never been in before. I popped in for some water, to take some tablets, and had a delightful interaction in there. I found out they’re Turkish and related to my nieces daughter’s best friend who is also my aunties next door neighbour. They have a real coffee machine but no none dairy milk. So they said they’d get some. We’ll see :) 

So I’m happy with my purchases. But it’s been weird. How can somebody see you so differently to how you see yourself? Fascinating :) 

• Good to hear you are pleased so far!

I'm terrible with PC's, I'm never satisfied with what I get. It's more about the operating systems I think. I never had a problem until Windows 8 came out, and I always end up messing with the OS. The Lenovo's I've bought are also *** with driver issues.

I don't mind planes either. The noise doesn't bother me either. I've been on flights that have basically been like sitting in the house apart from the odd moment. I can do without the lighting, if it's flourescent. I just tend to put some music on, and just look out of the window.

I like the motorway, mind you I'm never driving!

• I went for the Bose ones in the end. It’s funny, because when I went to the shop on Wednesday, it was an nt guy who served me with the headphones, and an undiagnosed, totally unaware, autistic woman who served me with the lap top. I didn’t buy either that day, because I wasn’t sure. 

I was very happy with the information I was given regarding the laptops. I had a clear decsision to make. But it was as if I was completely indifferent to the headphones, even though I had tried them on. 

Today when I went back. The lap top lady wasn’t there, but I had two great people, who were also clearly on the spectrum, helping me with my choice of headphones.

They were great, honestly. It was so funny. I think they were girlfriend and boyfriend, and she had the Bose, and he had the Sony. 

It took a while. But in the end, I went for the Bose. Mainly on comfort. I’m not saying I’ve made the ‘right’ choice. I never know whether I’ve done that. And I’ve definiteiy found out, at times, when I’ve made a bad choice, lol! But I’m always happy with my choice whatever the outcome. And in this case. So far so good. 

And I’m happy with my lap top and printer. 

If this evenings performance is anything to go by, I may have made a wise purchase. I had a really enjoyable time, anyway, with the three autistic people. That’s my kind of friendships :) and my kind of fun :) it makes my heart sing when I have such beautiful connections with people, and especially autistic people and other fringe dwellers, for some reason. It warms my heart for days. 

I also realised something else. People and reviews, keep mentioning aeroplanes, in relation to headphones. This couple both did. Which made me realise another thing where I do the opposite to most people. 

Most people, it seems, find the noise on aeroplanes irritating or something they could do without. I’m the opppsite. I love flying. I especially love long flights to places like India and Australia. And I’ve never thought of this before now, but maybe it’s because there’s less sensory stimulation in an aeroplane than most other places? So I feel calmer there? I even watch movies on a plane. And I rarely watch movies any other time. I’m always gutted when a flight comes to an end and often consider chaining myself to the seat and refusing to move! Lol! I’m laughing but I’m serious! 

• Which ones did you buy in the end?

• I’ve never had to chase them, but I’m prepared to. 

• Yep that would be my approach. Have to chase these professionals until you get the appointment that you need