Insomnia from shift work

I made a reasonable adjustments request to my employer to try and get more fixed hours instead of working shift work as doing very irregular hours is having a detrimental impact on my health and wellbeing. My employer has refused to do it dispite doing it for other colleagues. I've been told I can't as I don't have children  So I shouldn't be asking for fixed working hours. I feel like I can't get into a good routine with my job and reslly feeling the struggle of it. 

Any advice? 

Parents
  • Hi Ashley.  It looks like you do the same work that I do - and I've faced that issue before.  A colleague with young children got exemption from shift changes, as did another colleague who had a disabled spouse to care for at home.  You have a diagnosis, so you could reasonably argue that you're being discriminated against when other colleagues get the adjustment without being 'disabled'.

Check out what it says here.  The Equality Act is quite specific.  If you're in a Union, you could also approach them for advice. 

Equality Act

The Act describes a disabled person as someone having “a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.”

Mental impairments include autism and most autistic people are likely to fit this description, but you do not have to have a diagnosis to be considered a disabled person.  

• Everytime I ask I just keep getting told "sorry fixed hours don't suit the service". I did manage to get a rolling fixed rota but the area manager took it off me when she found out about it. Claiming it was against policy.

My employer has been awful at being supportive over adjustments, when I initially disclosed my diagnosis I got told to go my GP to check I was still autistic Pensive

The company I work for as well are commissed to support those with autism, yet on a recent Facebook post on the companys Facebook it only voiced support for the NHS 10 year plan for the learning disability side of it and opened critised the fact its called autism hour not quiet hour in shops. 

• Have you tried access to work they are their to help people stay in employment and cam help ensure employers comply with laws

Reply Children
No Data