Insomnia from shift work

I made a reasonable adjustments request to my employer to try and get more fixed hours instead of working shift work as doing very irregular hours is having a detrimental impact on my health and wellbeing. My employer has refused to do it dispite doing it for other colleagues. I've been told I can't as I don't have children  So I shouldn't be asking for fixed working hours. I feel like I can't get into a good routine with my job and reslly feeling the struggle of it. 

Any advice? 

Parents
  • Have two children - they like playmates.

If that is deemed too expensive, the other option, and one I would suggest is to get out of shift work ASAP. I started my working life on 8hr shifts, then moved to 12hr shifts. I did this for 16yrs and haven't worked shifts for over 10yrs. However, the long term affect is that my body still follows the shift pattern!

It's not even difficult to find staff that prefer nights/days and put them on that permanent shift! I preferred nights and would happily have never done a day shift.

• Have two children - they like playmates.

If that is deemed too expensive, the other option, and one I would suggest is to get out of shift work ASAP. I started my working life on 8hr shifts, then moved to 12hr shifts. I did this for 16yrs and haven't worked shifts for over 10yrs. However, the long term affect is that my body still follows the shift pattern!

It's not even difficult to find staff that prefer nights/days and put them on that permanent shift! I preferred nights and would happily have never done a day shift.

Children
No Data