Antidepressants

At work/uni, I often get to the point of almost crying in front of people, and I have suicidal thoughts. I've refused antidepressants in the past, in case they affect my uni performance and/or I become dependent on them. I know my depression isn't purely biological, it's because of my inability to fit in in the world. I'm interested to hear the experiences of other autistic individuals with antidepressants. Did they help you, or did your low mood persist because of your autism? How difficult were the side effects, did they affect your ability to work/study? Did you become dependent on them?

Thanks for your responses :)

Parents
  • I am a parent of a nearly 18 child on Fluoxetene. I m seriously against medication but this has returned the child I remembered before the pressures of GCSEs and having to deal with so many unthinking NTs got overwhelming. 

The quote I remember was: on a good day, I can make allowances for all the stupid stuff.  

The medication can help with that extra energy to deal with irritation/ anxiety or whatever but it cannot make the NTs less crass.  

Dose is low.  Dependence seems not to be there.  No side effects noticed.  

Unfair to have to deal wth crassness, but pragmatically, it may be the answer.

• I am a parent of a nearly 18 child on Fluoxetene. I m seriously against medication but this has returned the child I remembered before the pressures of GCSEs and having to deal with so many unthinking NTs got overwhelming. 

The quote I remember was: on a good day, I can make allowances for all the stupid stuff.  

The medication can help with that extra energy to deal with irritation/ anxiety or whatever but it cannot make the NTs less crass.  

Dose is low.  Dependence seems not to be there.  No side effects noticed.  

Unfair to have to deal wth crassness, but pragmatically, it may be the answer.

Children