Antidepressants

At work/uni, I often get to the point of almost crying in front of people, and I have suicidal thoughts. I've refused antidepressants in the past, in case they affect my uni performance and/or I become dependent on them. I know my depression isn't purely biological, it's because of my inability to fit in in the world. I'm interested to hear the experiences of other autistic individuals with antidepressants. Did they help you, or did your low mood persist because of your autism? How difficult were the side effects, did they affect your ability to work/study? Did you become dependent on them?

Thanks for your responses :)

Parents
  • Hi, everyone reacts to different drugs differently. All have side effects. But if you find something that works for you then that can be great. I have taken antidepressants, more on than off since I was 21 - 20 years now. Just like a diabetic takes insulin and doesn't feel guilty about being dependent on a drug that fixes an in balance in their pancreas, I take ssris to fix an I balance in my brain. Antidepressants don't work for everyone and I had to try 3 before I found a good combination that suited me. But I have never been aware of cognative impairment from taking them and I can do a lot more when I am not depressed. Have a look at the mind website. Loads of good advice there.

• Hi, thanks for your response. You mentioned you tried 3 drugs before you found one that worked. How long did this process take (weeks, months, years)? Also how severe were the side effects that forced you to change to the next drug - e.g. did they prevent you from going to work or focusing? 

Also thank you for the recommendation, the Mind website is indeed very useful :)

• Hi, thanks for your response. You mentioned you tried 3 drugs before you found one that worked. How long did this process take (weeks, months, years)? Also how severe were the side effects that forced you to change to the next drug - e.g. did they prevent you from going to work or focusing? 

Also thank you for the recommendation, the Mind website is indeed very useful :)

Children
  • Months. The first one made me feel more emotional, after 2 weeks I went back. The second one gave me very vivid dreams, such that I thought I had had a conversation with someone in real life. But other than that I was very well. So I went back and was prescribed something to counteract the dreams. So I take a combination of things that works for me.  Lots of drugs give you a dry mouth. I just take it with a glass of water at night. Some drugs make you sleepy, again, take them just before bed and then you have 8 hours to get the sleepiness out of the system.