Socially isolated

Hi,

I am a 16 year old girl with Asperger's. 16 is a really difficult age with drinking and partying and drugs. I feel very isolated because I do not like alcohol and it messes with my medication but people don't seem to understand that I don't want to. Is it okay to not want to drink? I also don't get invited out to a lot of house parties which is mainly my fault, I am sure if I asked I would be able to go but the idea of spending an evening getting roaringly drunk with people I mainly do no even like does not appeal to me. I feel so left out,  but is it okay to not want to join in and stay at home and not drink or is it sad and pathetic? I get very, very anxious about social things like this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jess x

Parents
  • I'm 29 and I still feel like that. I have very little interest in drinking and find lots of people difficult, let alone lots of drunk people. There's nothing sad or pathetic about it. I get very anxious about social things. It is difficult but I have learnt the social situations that I can deal with and the ones I can't. I push myself to go to the ones that I can cope with even when I feel anxious so that I don't become completely isolated.

If I could give my 16 year old self (and probably my current self to be honest) any advice it's stop thinking so much about what other people think of you, stop trying to change you to fit in and just be yourself because you're happier that way.

If you are happier staying at home then stay at home. I desperately wanted to be invited to parties at that age but I now realise I wouldn't have coped with them anyway. 

Just be you is the best advice I can give you.

Reply Children
No Data