Anti-anxiety meds

Hi

So I have always suffered with anxiety and low mood. This year I found out I am an Aspie.  Not just a little bit but a lot. 

Sometimes anxiety or sensory or both cause me to shake.  At night, like last night I wake up and I am in the foetal position rocking with anxiety.

So I am considering anti-anxiety meds. But...

1) I am worried they will change my personality for the worse and

2) as a side effect suicide is possible.

Has anyone been on these and what effects have they had. 

• Yes, makes sense! I did the same sort of thing planting hundreds of daffodil bulbs, only noticing afterwards that my hands were all blistered and raw! 

• Apparently people with ASD have an issue with feelings and feeling when too much is too much Relaxed

• Depending on what your day job is (if you have one) I would recommend Mirtazapine. It has a calming effect, but can make you sleepy. I stopped taking it because I have to get up early to go to work. Otherwise I would still be on it. 

I would not recommend SSRIs if you are autistic and anxiety prone. They are too stimulating and will mess with your sleep. Additionally, they may trigger something similar to a manic episode.

• Same for me - I injured my ankle badly walking too much. Ended up with tendinitis - never thought to do warm up exercises - will in future! 

• Forgot to say I also need a lot of exercise to keep me calm.

• I know many people in anti-anxiety meds but none have either 1 or 2 or both.

What I found is that psychiatrists are very careful and you start of with low doses. Once they found out you are a sensitive person (like me), they prescribe you baby dosages.

These days there are so many different possibilities that I am sure something will work for you.

What is difficult is that you may have to try different types before you find the right one.

For me, only painkillers work which coincidentally with me have a calming (taking the edge off) effect. The traditional ones for ASD make me very agitated, and I get too many side effects.

• I cannot answer your question but I do suggest you visit the Anxiety UK website (https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/).