Does anyone else worry and get pains?

Hi,

I'm a really big worrier. Worrying is a huge part of my Autism, its caused me so much grief, especially as I've got older. I'm now 21 and it's like I've had a lifetime of worrying. In the last three years alone...

My dad was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, which looks like it's getting worse.

My mum was diagnosed with a brain tumour, we later found out it was benign.

We were involved in a car crash.

My brother had a blood clot on his lung, he is now better.

My gran passed away.

And I keep fluctuating between different states. Some days I'm happy and other days I'm really depressed and sad, and I'm unable to talk to my family about it because I don't like worrying them. I find it relaxing and soothing talking here, and also listening to music and watching Disney movies.

I just worry all the time, I can even wake up in the middle of the night worrying. And I also get stomach pains, chest pains and headaches. The pain varies between a 5 and a 7 but very rarely any higher than that. I always thought I was seriously ill but this year we took me to the doctors and they did a blood test, which resulted in me passing out outside of the doctor's and being found by a woman and her daughter - very embarrassing! Luckily it turned out that nothing was wrong with me, but the pains I get are still very uncomfortable and I don't even know what they are.

Does anybody else here worry and get pains? If you've got any good coping methods I'd love to here them.

• Hi! So my short answer is YES, I worry and get pains! 

My whole mental health journey started 15 years ago with extreme stomach pains. After admittance to hospital, blood tests, cutting out dairy/chocolate/gluten/everything else and numerous x-rays/scans etc, the result was....... anxiety. From anxiety then came depression, then came psychologist, which eventually became "I think you might have autism". It's funny thinking back on all that pain here I would be. 

I still get the pain, it's horrendous. The best thing that I find helps is lying in bed curled up and trying to sleep (which is unfortunately not good for mental health!). And trying to keep myself from getting too stressed about things (again I end up just sleeping to avoid feeling things so I wouldn't cope how I do!)

Just wanted to let you know that you are definitely not alone on this one, the pain is awful, I am a chronic worrier too and I quite often have the pain niggling away but try and ignore it. 

Distraction and minimizing worries as best I can helps me. If there's something I can do to feel less worried then I'll plan to do it (eg setting loads of alarms so I don't forget to do the thing I'm worrying I might forget to do) and distract myself by focusing on something else until the alarm goes off when it's time to do it.

Disney movies for the win though.

• Get a dog! Then you have to and it's great for walks! And perfect for companionship too.

• I suffer with skin picking as well, but this could also be a result of Dermatillomania.  I'm not sure if mine is stimming or not, but I am not always aware that I am doing it and I do have to make a conscious effort to stop it.

Stress has numerous affects on our bodies and there is still research being conducted on the full affects.  My IBS flares up and I get the feeling of pulled muscles, when I haven't done anything to strain myself.

When I was younger I used to get pains in my chest that would shoot down my left arm - as you can imagine this was terrifying as I thought I was having a heart attack.  

Stress and anxiety really are horrible things.

• Replying to you and fuzzy,,,I had just about every test going not so long ago, all came back as perfectly ok, was told I am one of the fittest fifty plus year olds they know, despite smoking all my life my chest x rays x2 both came back clear?

They said they had tested for everything but could find no reason for various chronic pains, during the fasting blood test, well after whilst ready to leave, I apparently blacked out, came too surrounded in medical staff, after being rushed to hospital in an ambulance sirens the lot, hooked up to various machines and being monitored throughout They conclusion was 1) I didn’t feint, 2) it was not passing out due to seeing blood, 3) it was just one of those things and as I was out for so long and they just couldn’t get me back they suspected heart failure. So no answers, the doctor said having taken blood for many years it appeared I had just shut down, totally,,nothing she did would bring me round, she was very used to feints, and people passing out but I was very different?  I was allowed to go home none the wiser, 

I did feel before and during it I was loosing a part of myself, 11 vials of blood isn’t much, but it was mine and it was gone. I just think I shut down to deal with the trauma of losing part of me?

• Then I need to start walking as soon as! Slight smile We live in a beautiful area, lots of woods around us and cattle in the fields. If I can, when I go for my walk tomorrow I'll try and take some pictures for you.

I also find that staying indoors not only makes my pains worse but also makes me feel negative I think. I think staying inside too much makes me more depressed because I'm isolated from outside.

• I live in a village with about 2000 people which lies at the edge of an island. I've got two dogs and go out for walks every day. Rain or shine, whatever the weather conditions.

Walking will most probably not give you a heart attack unless you've got a heart condition. If anything it will makenyou stronger.

I find by staying inside the vague pains only get worse Neutral face

• I live in the countryside and try to take walks every day, it's getting colder now so I don't go out every day but I try to. I'm hoping it will help me too, I get a lot of pains and these generally put me off in case I have a heart attack but I've had them so long now I really think it is all just worry, anxiety and ASD.

• I'm so sorry about your dad Cry *hugs*

• @Jonesy Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry you're such a big worrier as well :( If it was a sport we would all have thousand of gold trophies and medals Smiley

• I'm sorry you go through this Disappointed My pain is very much the same and usually is on the right side of my stomach, it has been left as well and in the pelvis sort of area but only when I'm worried and stressed and usually eases by the end of the day.

My pain on a scale of 1-10 usually is a 5 or 7. The worst pain I ever had was a few months ago when it was a 10 on my pain scale, it was my right hand side stomach and was so painful I nearly called a ambulance! It was so painful I could hardly move...

Luckily that only happened the once and weirdly it was after I had a Coca Cola, so I haven't drank another one since. It was probably unrelated but I don't want to take the risk.

• Hi thank you for the encouraging words, I really appreciate it and I'm glad to know that we're all in the boat here. It means we can help each other get through difficult patches and learn from each other's own experiences Slight smile

I am so very sorry you suffer from terrible anxiety and severe pains. The anxiety is annoying for me but the pains are the worst part, like you said, they tend to increase if you get more stressed and worried which then in my case, makes me even more worried as I start thinking "oh god, I'm dying" or thoughts along those lines.

I had my GP come to the house this morning and she's given me some great advice and I now have to have a "worry time" with my family each evening where I say whatever's on my mind, no matter how small or big the worry is. She's coming back on Monday to see how I get on over the weekend. It's progress and I actually feel a little happier now Slight smile

A lot of bad things happened very close together, some of them I think about nearly every day and can picture them happening again inside my head. I allowed myself to get beaten low after all that happened and now, I'm desperately trying to regain my confidence and bubbly happy personality.

I think with my GPs help and the help I've gotten here already I should be better in no time at all hopefully. I also have my sister home this week and that's great because we're super close! Slight smile

• Hi Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

I was tested for Diabetes and god knows what a while ago and everything came back negative, and I still struggle with pains nearly every day. My pains vary from the stomach, hands, chest, shoulder, back and head! Not much fun, especially when it comes to working *shudders* Disappointed

I've taken to laying down as well, just me and peace and quiet. It does help a little.

I hope you're having a good day today! Slight smile

• Same for me though. Have pulled muscles in my upper back and twisted my neck. Both probably due to stress, knowing there are a few weeks coming up in which everything comes down on me.

And like I get stomach aches. They are the worst when something is stressing me out. And really bad when I physically can't get out of a situation. I had a course once that lasted two days. At the end I was in so much pain that I was sweating away.

The next day I was at the doctor's and he prescribed all kinds of things to deal with it. 

So it is logical you feel physically ill when there are so many things going on. But when you're in the midst of these situations you can't simply change them all at once. It takes time, however frustrating that may be.

• Just wanted to reply to this thread as fuzzy is having a difficult time right now, the aim of bringing it back to the front is for him to see there are many of us that share his issues, 

He started this thread to see if he was alone, well judging by the replies I would say not.

fuzzy you are not alone in how you are feeling right now. 

I am currently experiencing terrific pains throughout my body, yes I have a lot of stress and anxiety. 

I did mean to respond long before now but somehow forgot.

I had a lot of ear pain when young, always had cotton wool sticking out, many trips to the doctors, nothing ever  found to be wrong, all my life I have had stomach pain, I assumed everyone had it, it changes in intensity but rarely ever stops hurting. 

I too now realise the more stress or anxiety I have the more areas of pain and intensity I suffer.

keep talking fuzzy, you really aren’t Aline.

Given everything that’s happened in your life recently I think your doing very well,  you do need help, You need to reach out to the doctors, write a letter and post it. Just be strong and keep talking. ()

• Sorry for all the bad luck you have seemed to of had. 

I get a pain when I worry - it’s in the right hand side of my stomach. It’s like a pinching pain that won’t go away it’s so painful. I only tend to get it when I worry or when I’m stressed. I’ve been hospitalised with it a few times it’s been so severe. It’s a horrible feeling but it does settle when my anxiety/stress levels do. 

• I'm also a huge worrier and always have been, often about things that most people take in their stride. If worrying was a sport I'd be at olympic level, if it were an academic subject I've have a doctorate in it. Tied in with anxiety in general believe the two are pretty much intrinsic to an aspie personality. So you are definitely not alone Fuzzy.

• I worry a lot and I've had a lot 'better' life than you had. Worst thing that happened was my Dad suddenly dying when I was 17.

• Sorry to hear you haven't been able to play in a band for a while. I struggled in an orchestra - I could either get my violin bow going up and down with everyone else's or I could play the right notes - I ended up miming most of the time! Do you still play just for your own entertainment and satisfaction? 

I still play at home a bit but even than can be uncomfortable as you are twisted in an unnatural position for guitar. I do hope I haven't played my last gig but finding the right situation and people to do it again may take some time.

I'm an ex-violinist too, that was the instrument I started on aged 8. I also played viola and piano but I really always wanted to play electric guitar and switched when I was 14. My co-ordination isn't brilliant either, my left hand is way more active on guitar than my right and I've never been a great picker.

• I used to go running on a treadmill to beat the vaguer ever-present pains. But because I can't dose myself or feel I'm overdoing it, I literally ran into injuries.

But for me physical activities calm both the pain and the mind. If I don't go for walks at a decent pace to wear myself out, everything hurts.

I know you have physical issues but try walking every day to see what it does. Ignore the start-up pain and tiredness. It helps me anyway.

• Hi Fuzzy I get aches all over been tested for diabetes and all other blood disorders and nothing keep being told it’s just a virus as I type this I’m absolutely exhausted with it all 

Got through work today just 

How do I cope well I don’t but lying down in a dark room no music tv sometimes helps