For All Those Worried About Adult Assessment

Hi guys.

As of this morning, I have been officially diagnosed with Aspergers. I am 23. So it can be done :D 

Thanks to everyone who gave me support when I was worried about the assessment - it actually went really well, and the doctor was very nice and calm etc to put me at ease. 

• It certainly helps to know which areas to avoid, too.  I've learnt that offices and jobs with a lot of social interraction are not for me, though one - to -one is ok.  If I'd had a diagnosis when I was a lot younger I could have avoided a lot of the mistakes I made, been more aware of my strengths and concentrate on them.

• nonneurotypical said:

I've really known for a few years now, but I got the official diagnosis just a few months ago.  I guess I expected to feel some sense of empowerment knowing with some certainty what my weaknesses are and why I have them.  That hasn't really happened for me yet, and I do sometimes now find myself thinking in more limited terms about what I can accomplish in the future.

I still find myself doing that (thinking in more limited terms) occasionally even a couple of years now since diagnosis.

However, I am doing it less and less, and am finding more and more I'm thinking of things in a positive light.

nonneurotypical said:

But I'm doing my best to reassure myself that every new ambition that I pursue from now on will have a much better chance of success.

I think the key is to concentrate on the positives of being on the spectrum - the more intense focus, for example.

• True Colors said:

Part of me wishes I'd being diagnosed when I was much younger, but then my life would probably have been very different.

That's an unanswerable question, isn't it?   I think maybe I would have been a lot happier if I'd had a diagnosis when I was younger but then again, would I have struggled as much to live a 'normal' life - or just made AS an excuse for lack of effort in various directions? 

[/quote]
    I usually feel very sad when I think about what could have been different in my life if I could have been diagnosed and helped as a child, but True Colors brings up a very good point that I need to remember everyday.  

Many of the things I've done that seemed to take a huge amount of effort for unimpressive results when judged by typical standards might never have happened if I had known I had AS.

On the flip side though, when judged by the standards of people with AS, those same accomplishments are a bit more substantial.  I still feel very burdened by thoughts of wasted potential though.  I guess we just need to avoid thinking about how much easier some things would have been had we known.

I've really known for a few years now, but I got the official diagnosis just a few months ago.  I guess I expected to feel some sense of empowerment knowing with some certainty what my weaknesses are and why I have them.  That hasn't really happened for me yet, and I do sometimes now find myself thinking in more limited terms about what I can accomplish in the future.  

But I'm doing my best to reassure myself that every new ambition that I pursue from now on will have a much better chance of success.

• Scorpion0x17 said:

Part of me wishes I'd being diagnosed when I was much younger, but then my life would probably have been very different.

That's an unanswerable question, isn't it?   I think maybe I would have been a lot happier if I'd had a diagnosis when I was younger but then again, would I have struggled as much to live a 'normal' life - or just made AS an excuse for lack of effort in various directions? 

• Indeed.

I was only diagnosed a couple of years ago, and am now 39.

And, I'm now just glad I've got an answer to all those 'why am I different?' questions I've always had.

• This is indeed encouragement as I'm soon to visit a GP to request a referral for assessment.  I think that going through adolescence knowing something is wrong but not knowing what is tough but as Whiterose said it is better late than never.

• Congratulations!

I'm also 23, but was diagnosed at 8, and my Mum told me when I was 13.  I can't imagine how much more difficult life would have been for me otherwise, so I feel sorry for you and everyone else who's had to wait till adulthood for a diagnosis... but as they say, better late than never, and I hope it helps you

• Congratulations!

Glad your experience was a good one Smile

I'm just starting my journey and your post has given me hope, thank you.

• Woohoo!

Congratulations!

And welcome to the best club in the world!

:D