Mum going back to work

Hi, I'm a mum of a 17 year old who has ASC, I have not worked for the last 11 years and start a part time job tomorrow.

I am really struggling to leave my son as I have been at home and supported him the past 11 years.

Thankfully he has become more independent and is in his last year at college,the problem is when anything goes not to plan for him he goes into panic mode and all rational thinking goes out of the window.

My fear is I won't be there in case this happens, but I know I need to let him try and be more independent and learn to deal with  situations .

My heart says stay at home in case he needs me , my head says go to work and let him be more independent.

Anyone  out there that has been in a similar situation 

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi there,

It's good to hear that your son has become more independent, and naturally, as a parent, you'd worry if your child will be okay. But it's good to give him a chance to learn to deal with situations. Give him your number in case anything happens, and perhaps leave a copy of it on the kitchen fridge in case he forgets. I'd say you go to work and see how he deals with things alone. Allowing him to try and live by himself and deal with situations is really important, and will give you both more confidence going forwardx

If things don't go well, then he has your number to contact. If things go well, then he's proved to himself that he can look after himself!x

Much love <3

• Thanks for your reply, that's just what I needed to hear x

I'm going to give it a go :) x

Reply Children
No Data