The Hidden Danger of Suicide in Autism

A friend has just forwarded me this recent article.  I found myself nodding my head a lot as I read it.  The points on bullying and 'camouflaging' are particularly pertinent for me.

The Hidden Danger of Suicide in Autism

Parents Reply
  • I'll be blunt: seems like an overreaction over something that happens all the time to a lot of people.

This is true.  It's why I've been told so many times in the past that I'm over-sensitive, and that I should just let it go over my head.  I can't do that.  Stuff like this, which many would look at and say 'So what?', hits me like a train.  I think it's probably a lot worse because I'm feeling pretty frayed at the moment.  Work is getting me down.  I wouldn't go sick simply to avoid that colleague, but I find it very hard to work in an environment where someone has taken against me in some way.  I admire people who can do it.  Another colleague at work was reported by someone else about perceived abuse and faced a disciplinary - which was thrown out.  They still work together, keeping it professional.  I simply couldn't do that.  If it happened to me, I'd have to leave.

Children