The Hidden Danger of Suicide in Autism

A friend has just forwarded me this recent article.  I found myself nodding my head a lot as I read it.  The points on bullying and 'camouflaging' are particularly pertinent for me.

The Hidden Danger of Suicide in Autism

Parents
  • Thank you for this post Tom, I wrote a very long post yesterday about the pointlessness of being alive which disappeared, at the bottom of the article are links to others in the site that are also very accurate and informative.

• Thank you for this post Tom, I wrote a very long post yesterday about the pointlessness of being alive which disappeared, at the bottom of the article are links to others in the site that are also very accurate and informative.

Children
  • That's strange, Song.  Wonder why that is.

I'm feeling really odd right now.  I have a colleague at work who, when I started and mentioned my autism, said she wasn't surprised because I didn't make eye contact.  All along, over the last year, she's said she 'gets' me.  We've always got on very well at work since then.

I upset her a bit, I think, when I led off the other week about young children being given smartphones too early - because her pre-schooler has got one.  It didn't seem to matter too much, though, and she's been fine - up until a week ago, when she went on annual leave.

I checked her page on Facebook earlier and she had a jokey post saying something about 'Stop moaning, those in your 20s, about life being s**t - as it hasn't even started yet.'  I posted a jokey response to say 'The same for those in their 40s' (as she is) with a smiley emoticon.  She then responded 'And those in their 60s'.  I thought it was all part of a joke, so I then said 'I'm not quite there yet!'

At which point she commented 'Get off your computer and go out and get a life.'

She then both 'unfriended' me and blocked me, too.  I'm gob-smacked.  Was what I said really worthy of such treatment?  Have I missed something?

I'm really going to struggle with seeing her again at work now.  I don't know what to do.

Things like this send me over the edge.  I can't understand why people have behaved in the way they do, and I blame myself.