This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

hi guys, i have a question, please help me !

This post has be removed as it contravenes our community rules.

Thanks,

Ayshe Mod

Parents
  • I can understand where you are coming from. It can be very misleading as well as making it seem like nothing is 'affecting' you on the basis of which side of the spectrum you are at. In my experience, when I volunteered with an organisation with those with autism; the team leader (at the time) doesn't like to use the terms low or high functioning. I can see why now but the reality is there are many people out there who don't recognise the challenges, struggles, difficulties someone with autism has whether verbal, non-verbal, male or female it affects many aspects of their lives.

With that, the more 'society' or 'media' portrays autistic people. The more some people are unwillingly being forced to 'mask' their true feelings, emotions and behaviours to fit in. What makes it worse, due to the nature of the persons autism it appears to other people as odd or abnormal. The prejudice of others is very debilitating to the point it unsettles the person then leads to numerous problems. I recall, seeing a young boy with autism (who is non-verbal) in the supermarket with my mum and sister. The young boy was distressed eventually leading to what others may know as a 'meltdown'. Everyone just kept looking at him, the murmurs it was one of the most upsetting things to see not so much for the young boy but everyone else who just looked at him.

People with autism, are being subjected for the wrong reasons. With that the lack of support, communication with others amongst other components puts a strain on so many individuals whether it is to go to a public setting or educational the list is endless. I was also told that by many people that I have mild autism but yet it does affect me significantly. To be fair it affects many people's lives.

If I am correct from what I may have heard or remember those with a IQ of 70 is considered 'high functioning'. Those under 70 are 'low functioning'. Whichever, way you look at it we are all human we all deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. I myself, thought trying to fit into social gatherings but it really isn't as straightforward as people think. It takes a great deal of courage to try and open yourself. It is a reoccurring reminder of how different I am but also how much harder I have to dig deep to get to where I want to be in life. I am aware everyone needs help in many areas of life. There is no quick fix solution or magic potion. We all have different strengths and weaknesses, preferences, requirements etc.

At the time, I was lead to believe because of my 'mild' autism it means that it wasn't as sufficient and that I didn't have any underlining problems. I am pretty sure we are not going to hear the end of this low/high functioning talk.

• I can understand where you are coming from. It can be very misleading as well as making it seem like nothing is 'affecting' you on the basis of which side of the spectrum you are at. In my experience, when I volunteered with an organisation with those with autism; the team leader (at the time) doesn't like to use the terms low or high functioning. I can see why now but the reality is there are many people out there who don't recognise the challenges, struggles, difficulties someone with autism has whether verbal, non-verbal, male or female it affects many aspects of their lives.

With that, the more 'society' or 'media' portrays autistic people. The more some people are unwillingly being forced to 'mask' their true feelings, emotions and behaviours to fit in. What makes it worse, due to the nature of the persons autism it appears to other people as odd or abnormal. The prejudice of others is very debilitating to the point it unsettles the person then leads to numerous problems. I recall, seeing a young boy with autism (who is non-verbal) in the supermarket with my mum and sister. The young boy was distressed eventually leading to what others may know as a 'meltdown'. Everyone just kept looking at him, the murmurs it was one of the most upsetting things to see not so much for the young boy but everyone else who just looked at him.

People with autism, are being subjected for the wrong reasons. With that the lack of support, communication with others amongst other components puts a strain on so many individuals whether it is to go to a public setting or educational the list is endless. I was also told that by many people that I have mild autism but yet it does affect me significantly. To be fair it affects many people's lives.

If I am correct from what I may have heard or remember those with a IQ of 70 is considered 'high functioning'. Those under 70 are 'low functioning'. Whichever, way you look at it we are all human we all deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. I myself, thought trying to fit into social gatherings but it really isn't as straightforward as people think. It takes a great deal of courage to try and open yourself. It is a reoccurring reminder of how different I am but also how much harder I have to dig deep to get to where I want to be in life. I am aware everyone needs help in many areas of life. There is no quick fix solution or magic potion. We all have different strengths and weaknesses, preferences, requirements etc.

At the time, I was lead to believe because of my 'mild' autism it means that it wasn't as sufficient and that I didn't have any underlining problems. I am pretty sure we are not going to hear the end of this low/high functioning talk.

Children
No Data