Massive anxiety about contact lenses

Not sure if anyone will be able to relate to this but I've been wearing contact lenses for nearly 2 decades and the last couple of months I've suddenly started to struggle to wear them.

My optician has now tried 3 different types and none of them seem to be making it any better. They are uncomfortable which is stressing me out in itself but I absolutely cannot stand wearing glasses.

I'm really anxious that I'm going to be told I can't wear contacts anymore. The constant appointments back and forth to the opticians isn't helping either as I hate appointments.

I really don't know what to do as hardly anyone even knows I need glasses and the thought of suddenly having to wear them and everyone commenting on them makes me feel physically sick. It honestly makes me not want to leave the house. Really struggling with this and too embarrassed to speak to anyone I know about it.

• I tried contact lenses twice, but my corneas need all the oxygen they can get and contact lenses just give me bloodshot and painful eyes. I now have an optician where I essentially design my own glasses, its expensive, but worth it. I have completely circular frameless lenses with the residual frame made of titanium, it is strong but wire-thin. The glasses have negligible weight and have little impact on the look of my face. I designed them about 15 years ago and now just change the prescription when needed and the frame colour every so-often.

• never bothered with contacts myself.... i dont like the idea of putting my finger in my eye to put untrustworthy plastic sheet in my eye that could for all i know sever my eye lol 

• Hi Antafinyb,

Welcome to our community! I hope you'll find it helpful.

I have deleted the affiliated link since it breaks number 7 in our rules:
    Recommendations are welcome. If you’ve found a service, book, helpline, or product helpful, feel free to share. If you are using an affiliate link, please advise of this in your post or comment. We do not allow users to register an account with us primarily to advertise, or sell, products and services.
    You can find our rules in full here:
    Thank you for joining our community!
    All the best,
    Eunice Mod
  • I just wear glasses. At first, it does take some time to get used to (e.g., looking through the lenses and not at the frames, or having something heavy non your nose, and getting used to your new appearance in the mirror....), but you can take it slowly. Maybe at first, just try putting it on in your own home for only a couple hours a day, and try to gradually increase the time you have them on. After several months, you might start to be able to have them for hours and hardly notice them.

• Ye I think I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow and see what is said. Hopefully a miracle happens in the mean time and I can carry on wearing contacts. Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it.

• Have the assessment and see what they say :) a friend of mine had it last year and he's thrilled with the results.

I'm not interested in it myself because I'm happy with glasses now (I refused to wear them at school, too, I only really grew into them at 6th-form college when I'd moved away from the bullying idiots at my high school) but if the idea upsets you that much it's probably worth the expense for you to get the surgery instead. 

• I've never liked the idea of glasses. Always refused to wear them as a child and have worn contacts ever since. Not sure exactly what it is I hate so much. I just hate the thought of them. I did consider telling people first but there would be so many people to tell. I work with children and they would certainly say something and I can't really tell all of them. I also find glasses a bit awkward. I've only ever worn them in the house though. I have thought about laser but that's such a big step and costly. I've read so much about it leaving eyes really dry or only lasting a few months. I think I'm going to go for an assessment for it though.

• If it's just the potential comments that frighten you, could you perhaps tell people before you get glasses so it would be less of a surprise to them and they wouldn't feel the need?

• What is it about glasses that puts you off?

How do you feel about laser surgery?

I've never been able to wear contacts, my blink reflex is simply insurmountable, I can't cope with anything near my eyes. >_> I'm used to my specs though.