Hospitals not ASD friendly

I have had to go to A and E and found the experience deeply uncomfortable.  Lots of people noise etc.  

I also have had to wait over a month and a half for a breathing issue to do with my throat.  Despite my Gp saying it was urgent.  

I got told many reasons why I had to wait so long.  Inconsistency, a real pain with my suspected ASD.  This prolonged agony got me thinking,  do hospitals really understand ASD?

Think of their layout and lack of facilities.

Does anyone else think this?

Parents
  • My 16 year old daughter and I have had several visits to hospital recently, the most recent at A&S last Sunday.  My daughter was only diagnosed last year but has taken to wearing noise cancelling headphones because she can't stand the noise or the crowds.  I don't know if it is the presence of the headphones or her look of extreme anxiety but on several occasions the nurse or Dr have offered to find her a quieter room to wait.   I wish all the medical staff were like this but alas on the general medical ward they were quite the opposite and caused my high functioning autistic daughter great distress by making her stay in hospital in an unfamiliar environment for an additional night for no other reason than he wanted to see if she could drink a litre of water over night?!!!.   I might be wrong but most people generally sleep through the night and my daughter has never drunk that much since she was born.  Apologies for the rant. 

• My 16 year old daughter and I have had several visits to hospital recently, the most recent at A&S last Sunday.  My daughter was only diagnosed last year but has taken to wearing noise cancelling headphones because she can't stand the noise or the crowds.  I don't know if it is the presence of the headphones or her look of extreme anxiety but on several occasions the nurse or Dr have offered to find her a quieter room to wait.   I wish all the medical staff were like this but alas on the general medical ward they were quite the opposite and caused my high functioning autistic daughter great distress by making her stay in hospital in an unfamiliar environment for an additional night for no other reason than he wanted to see if she could drink a litre of water over night?!!!.   I might be wrong but most people generally sleep through the night and my daughter has never drunk that much since she was born.  Apologies for the rant. 

Children
No Data