Please Report the Use of Fireworks

I know that the topic seems to be the wrong time of the year but on Saturday (7th April) I had to endure 25 minutes of fireworks.

I have reported the use of fireworks to Firework Abatement UK (https://fireworkabatement.wordpress.com/fireworkslog/) and ask other people to please do the same throughout the year. There is a separate page (https://fireworkabatement.wordpress.com/fireworkdisplays/) for fireworks at events.

The organisation seems to be doing a decent job of trying to improve the regulation of fireworks and submitting data will help the cause. Perhaps one day will be be rid the of the fireworks menace.

Thank you.

• Me too. I can't even stand 'party poppers' or balloons with the inevitable pop!

• A petition (now closed) to 'change the laws governing the use of fireworks to include a ban on public use' attracted 113,284 signatures and was debated in Parliament. Firework Abatement UK has replied to some of the debate's comments:
    https://fireworkabatement.wordpress.com/news/

[I have just finished writing my response and realised that it is longer than I thought; apologies.]

I wrote to my MP in early November last year about the 'societal, environmental and animal welfare impacts of fireworks' following three weeks of fireworks for a one day 'celebration'. The issues I highlighted were fireworks:

1. are far too loud;
    2. are used for an excessive period;
    3. cause thousands of injuries every year (over 5,000 A & E attendances in 2015/16);
    4. cause 10 people to lose their sight every year;
    5. cause psychological and emotional problems for thousands (possibly tens of thousands) every year;
    6. aggravate health issues for people with heart problems, asthma or bronchitis;
    7. cause mental health and other issues for tens of thousands of people (including those on the autistic spectrum and those who suffer from PTSD) every year;
    8. cause an ever-increasing amount of air pollution every year (fireworks are the largest manufactured source of some types of metal particles in the UK atmosphere and the proportion of pollution from fireworks will only increase as investments are made to reduce other sources of urban pollution);
    9. deposit rubbish in people's gardens and the countryside every year;
    10. cause distress to millions of companion animals every year;
    11. cause distress to horses, livestock and wildlife every year; and
    12. cause injuries and even death to many, many animals every year.

Amongst the waffle of my MP's reply were these paragraphs:

Excessive noise from fireworks, or noise during the curfew period, can be considered a statutory nuisance and local authority environmental health officers have the power to investigate complaints of fireworks noise and act to prevent it where appropriate. I do understand that young children and pets are disturbed by the loud noises fireworks make and I would advise you to lodge a complaint should you wish to do so.

Although there is some use of fireworks outside the traditional periods, the Government believes that the majority of people who use fireworks do so at the appropriate times of year and have a sensible and responsible attitude towards them.

I probably should not have wasted my time with a further response but I could not let certain things pass without comment. By the time of my reply, we had reached five weeks of fireworks for a one day 'celebration'. My comments included:

Your advice to 'lodge a complaint should you wish to do so' about excessively noisy fireworks is not helpful as you are asking me to contact a local council officer outside of working hours (which will not be possible), get that person to accept I have a relevant complaint (assuming that somehow I have managed to contact the person), get that person to come and investigate the complaint and be able to pinpoint the noise source.

Your comment that 'I do understand that young children and pets are disturbed by the loud noises fireworks' shows you have not grasped the seriousness of the issue or the impact fireworks have on people (not just 'young children') and animals (not just 'pets'). Furthermore, as mentioned above, no reasonable person can deny fireworks are far too noisy - fireworks are certainly more than just 'loud noises'.

You have completely ignored the suffering fireworks cause many, many thousands of people and millions of animals. You have also ignored the ever increasing issue of pollution caused by fireworks.

The logic of your argument is flawed. To use just one example, the vast majority of people using shops do not shoplift, however, we have legislation relating to shoplifting because of the behaviour of the minority. It follows, therefore, that legislation can be brought in to limit the use of fireworks (and the type of fireworks) to help prevent widespread suffering.

Unfortunately, my MP rarely does anything other than follow the party line. She did not attend the debate and I let her know of my disappointment at her lack of attendance.

• I loved them, too - as a kid.  Bonfire Night was one of the highlights of the year for me.  I still enjoy them now, when they have organised displays in the town festival.  It's when they go off at any old time, and you're not expecting it... that's what gets me.

I'll never forget one Bonfire Night in the '60s.  I was about 6.  The excitement after dinner was huge as we waited for dad to come in from work.  When he arrived, he had an enormous box of Astra fireworks.  The price on the box was 20 shillings!  They lasted all night.  Be lucky to get a packet of lighters for a quid now!

• Actually I used to love fireworks as a kid, the beautiful kinetic patterns they make, but bangers, well yes, they can be a bit much.

Every month a company nearby practises a 'catastrophe defence' routine. There is a horrible loudspeaker to proclaim it and then a siren that sounds as though the Bomb is about to make Ground Zero. I hate it!!!! And maybe because it upsets me the cats get scared and hide away too.

• It used to be just Guy Fawkes' Night - and maybe a couple of nights before.  You knew when to expect it.   Now it's any old excuse... birthdays, barbecues, garden parties.  They terrify pets and wildlife.  Organised events, yes.  All year round?  Do me a favour!

I didn't know about this, so thanks for posting.  I've rung the police in the past - and for other noise nuisances - but they won't get involved.  So you take it to the council, and still nothing gets done. I'd never advocate taking the law into your own hands, but I can understand why people do it.

• I hate fireworks.

They give me one if the worst life experiences.

They really scare me.

• I live in a village that for years was quite until they allowed a venue to start up.  Sometimes fireworks are let off at 10.50pm.

Not small ones but big ones.

Doesn’t do my ASD or elderly disabled relatives any good.

1. If they don’t ban them then should bring the sound down to the level of such a level that you can’t hear them in the house.