I might not be upon this Forum in Hot Weather...

I joined this Forum at around August/September of 2017, curious about the Internet and "Chat Forums" in general.
(Now I certainly know a lot more about them. Thank You to all upon here.)
I joined just after Summer, when the Weather was cooling. And so my Old devices were able to work as well as myself about this business.
(We are all "Old"/"Outdated".)
Now the Hot Weather is coming back, which *is* quite alright. Yet never so much for myself, and for my Devices, which are my only methods of continuing upon this Forum.
(Yes, We overheat quickly, and cannot cool off. No, We cannot simply all of the time "Use a Fan". Fans themselves get Hot, too.)
...In short - This Thread is a Warning, or is asking if anyone else has such troubles - during Hot Weather: Once it is over 80° Fahrenheit, then all I and my Devices can do is worry much, and then sit and do nothing... except wait for for a little past the Summer Solstice...

Parents
  • Hi DC, I'm thinking what overheats so much it stops working? Virtually all (even old) devices should be fine in the UK (or even at the Equator) unless they are left in direct sunlight. I have a gaming PC, the GPUs will go up to 80C under full load, but even in 35C indoor head they won't push over 80C at full load. My laptop was fine working outside in Vegas in the shade a 41C a few years ago (different laptop to now). The same with fans, they are self cooling, I've left fans on for weeks at work and never had one overheat.

I did work somewhere where the servers used to overheat on especially warm days, but they were shut in an airtight cupboard and the boss wouldn't allow the door to be opened because "the noise is annoying" so they would shut down sometimes, but the temperature in the cupboard sometimes reached over 60C in the summer, and once peaked at 78C. On he plus side when they went down it took them 2-3 hours to cool down and another thirty minutes to boot properly and initialise themselves properly, so when they crashed at lunch we'd generally just go home and a colleague did once put a fan heater in there on a Friday, just to make sure!

Most devices unless the fans/inlets are blocked won't overheat to the point of throttling as they are built with a thermal design limit in mind.

For those younger ones of us, 80F is 26C.

• Hi DC, I'm thinking what overheats so much it stops working?

Greetings, Thank You for Posting here (and to NAS24456 so far late.)...

Regarding that which I quote... I did not say that we (myself & machines) *stop* working, but that we have much trouble and give many errors...

I was also mostly referring to myself - I cannot tolerate that heat (Allergies, illnesses, etc.)---  yet this:

For those younger ones of us, 80F is 26C.

...I like this! I myself do require a certain temperature range and cannot cope - in the city (pollution) - outside of it for long... I must rest, unless I can cool off.  I freely admit to anyone that I have chronic illnesses and am weak and slow and all of that... and this Thread was begun in anticipation of all of that...

Fair Play to Yourself, of course...!

• I don't personally have issue with heat or cold really, but actually suffer more with humidity. I've been in 40C with 100% humidity and that was the most physically uncomfortable I've ever been, where as I've been in 44C but with zero humidity and and it wasn't uncomfortable at all so there are a range of factors at play.

I've found from experience that even high twenties at 100% humidity is far less comfortable than even ten degrees hotter but with low humidity. Then again that's my personal preference, I'm sure others will be different.

• I don't personally have issue with heat or cold really, but actually suffer more with humidity. I've been in 40C with 100% humidity and that was the most physically uncomfortable I've ever been, where as I've been in 44C but with zero humidity and and it wasn't uncomfortable at all so there are a range of factors at play.

I've found from experience that even high twenties at 100% humidity is far less comfortable than even ten degrees hotter but with low humidity. Then again that's my personal preference, I'm sure others will be different.

Children
No Data