A Shame the Snow Has Gone

I realise I am being selfish but the snow made everything quieter and my well-being improved as a result.

Yes, I missed hearing the birds singing but I did not miss the assault of man-made noise. At least the rain kept the latter at bay for today.

Parents
  • I still enjoy a few days of snow every winter.  It makes a change from the boring grey drab landscape.

My late mother never understand why we as children were exited by the snow.  She hated snow and repeatedly described her childhood in prewar Poland.  How there, when it started snowing in November, it didn't melt completely until April.  Every winter they had large snowdrifts.  And nobody made a fuss, they just cleared the snow and got on with life.  She found it incredible that here after a couple of inches. Roads were blocked, schools were shut and all the fuss.  Back in her childhood after a heavy overnight snowfall of two or three feet. Families dug themselves out, made paths and walked on top of the snow like normal.

What she found unusual was the way here lying snow only lasted a few days.  Then it snows again a month later, melts after a few days.  Weird!  

• Did she miss it - real snow, I mean, the kind you can play in and simply brush off your clothes? If you know that from childhood it seems to bring back memories of a lot of happiness for most people.

• My mother hated snow and often described her worst experiences of coping with severe weather.  Down to -30C people coped. Houses were well insulated and people wore extra clothes. Any colder and ...Skull crossbones.......Skull crossbones

How her village shared a church with a neighboring village.  And her mother was very religious and insisted on going to church every Sunday.  One very severe winter in the 1930s her mother was determined to go to church ( in the next village).  My grandfather and the other children refused because it was just too cold and the snow too deep.  

So just the two of them set out. They arrived after a two hour struggle thru the snow at the church which was freezing cold. There was nobody from her village, only about ten people from the other village.  And the service was very short.

They almost died in the snow getting home.

Afterwards my mother was ill in bed for weeks with a temperature and fever.  My grandmother never recovered her health and had a cough for the rest of her short life.

And she hated snow for the rest of her life.

• Well, that's good then! I'm just getting a little concerned when 'never' and 'always' are used, they seem to lead to arguments easily.

I'm replying to my own post because the others have disappeared for me too...

• My posts go missing from time to time.

• Um... okay, you are online and so thus far I am also still that way...? For the records, now, as I see this reply, I cannot see my own first answer, from which the second answer Quoted -!!!!!

I may attempt direction to this at WebPM later, yet for now, I shall discontinue here, and try to go to the "Love" Thread. (Do not get your hopes up too much, I must warn you, however...) 

• Yes, I would love you to do that DC and yes, I too find the missing post by pressing the ‘newest’ button as Robert or someone mentioned previously. 

Maybe it’s all us that are mad and not the website! Lol! Do all of us lose posts etc or only some of us? 

Reply Children