Safeguarding Parents and Children

Hi,

I just wanted to ask for some advice please. My boys are both autistic age 13 and 15. Today they got into an altercation, it started verbally and then got physical to the point I had to intervene. In sort y youngest threw a punch at his older brother but got me right on the cheek bone. Its now swollen to three times its size!

So my question is this. In my sons school all teachers and assistants are trained in Team Teach (the use of safe restraining, safeguarding etc). Would anyone know if similar is offered to parents with high octane and aggressive children at all? I live in Hampshire and to my knowledge and following research there does not appear to be any courses along this line. I'm only 5ft tall and although as a body builder I am physically strong, sometimes I just don't see the punch coming! Both my boys are much taller than me now too. Perhaps if I was competent in safe restraining it may prevent the issue becoming physical full stop. It just seem crazy to me that teachers have this resource but parents don't.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day,

Rae

Parents
  • Hi Rae,

I'm not sure if it's any help, but I work with highly autistic people, and all staff receive training in Studio 3 techniques. It's about blocking blows, or extricating yourself from hand-holds, hair-pulling, body hugs, etc.  There's info here:

Intro to Studio 3

I really don't know if it's available outside of professional care, but it's useful to know the techniques.

Tom

• Hi Rae,

I'm not sure if it's any help, but I work with highly autistic people, and all staff receive training in Studio 3 techniques. It's about blocking blows, or extricating yourself from hand-holds, hair-pulling, body hugs, etc.  There's info here:

Intro to Studio 3

I really don't know if it's available outside of professional care, but it's useful to know the techniques.

Tom

Children
No Data