Wishing there was a prevention and cure for autism and other disabilities

Hello I am hoping for the future in this world that there would be a possible cure for autism and all types of disabilities as I really hate seeing people with disabilities all the time because it makes me a bit angry that it has happened to them and it makes me feel sorry for them as I really want everyone to be the same for once and for everyone to understand when I really want treatment to be out there and also for more hope for all blind people to be able to see for once.

Parents
  • Phew, Sholay... these long, unpunctuated sentences make me dizzy! Relaxed

The only way currently to 'prevent' autism is for people to stop having children, and I don't think that's likely to happen.  Also, although autism can be severely debilitating for many people, many others - such as myself - prefer to think of it less as a disability and more as a condition.  Personally, I'm quite happy with being the person I am and, knowing what I know now, I certainly wouldn't want my autism 'cured'.  And at present, it cannot be cured anyway.

I share your unhappiness at the way people are disabled.  Instead of getting angry at that, though, I direct my anger at society.  Disability is largely a social construct.  Society is designed and built principally for the majority of the 'normally-able' and neurotypical.  No matter how far we advance, as things stand for now, people are still going to be born with disabilities of one kind or another.  So society should adapt to accommodate them.  And people disabled during their lives, as a result of accidents or illness, likewise need to be accommodated.  Medical science is developing things all of the time designed to help people.  We live in an imperfect world, though.  Righteous anger has it's place, of course - but maybe it is better to direct it at authorities which should be doing more to help everyone to be properly included in society, as they have a right to be... not treated as second-class citizens and ignored.

Have you thought about a career working to help the disabled - as a support worker, say, in care?  It would be a good way for you to help those that you clearly care so much about.

• I appreciate some of what you two are saying but it would be lovely if there was a cure though as nobody should be different as we all grew inside our mother's womb, develop into adults and also we all have the same human body so I really want everyone like society to agree with me and stop saying these negative things like there should not be a cure for disabilities when I would like for it to happen.

• I appreciate some of what you two are saying but it would be lovely if there was a cure though as nobody should be different as we all grew inside our mother's womb, develop into adults and also we all have the same human body so I really want everyone like society to agree with me and stop saying these negative things like there should not be a cure for disabilities when I would like for it to happen.

Children
  • The only negativity I see is someone 'feeling sorry for me' and wanting to 'cure' me of my disability.

Life would be very boring if we were all the same.

• For myself... I like being different.  But I know what you mean.  Even if disabilities could be prevented for unborn babies, though, people can still become disabled in life - lose arms, legs, their sight.  Great advances have been made.  Look at double amputees who can now be world-class athletes, for instance.  Again, I share your wish for a perfect world.  But it will only stay a wish.  That's why I think you'd make an excellent carer and advocate for disabled people - helping them to remain independent, to live fulfilling lives, etc.  I work with autistic people now, and have worked with the physically and learning disabled in the past.  It's a hugely rewarding career.