Open plan offices can make you MISERABLE: Seeing colleagues all day leads to distraction and irritation, say scientists.

Open plan offices can make you MISERABLE: Seeing colleagues all day leads to distraction and irritation, say scientists

Researchers from CTF, Service Research Centre at Karlstad University in Sweden have found that open plan offices are counter-productive and bad for staff morale (stock).

The article.

Do you agree?

I know that I do not like open plan office and they make me miserable.

Parents
  • Hi California,

What I'm about to say is my experience of open plan work places and spaces, and not to do with the article.

I think that open plan workplaces can actually be really useful in some situations. For example, if you're working in a large team, then having open plan work spaces can be really helpful as a hub for the team to work together. 

However, I do find open plan workplaces can be really distracting because of the background noise. Also, if you aren't feeling in a good mood, it isn't always the best idea to feel imprisoned with your team when you know you will snap at one of them for no reason soon.

I think it has its uses, but that's just from my experience!x

Much love <3

• For example, if you're working in a large team, then having open plan work spaces can be really helpful as a hub for the team to work together.

Could you quantify the rough size of team you have in mind? What do you mean by "large"?

• Teams of more than 20 at times, but usually between 10 and 20 people. From my experience, that's a large team for the work that I do!

Reply Children
No Data