Overreacting

Today I wasted an entire day because I couldn't shower. The boiler broke, which disrupted my routine and meant I stayed in my pyjamas because I couldn't have clothes touching my skin so I was distracted and got very little work done. I appreciate that this is an unusual reaction to something NTs might consider relatively minor, so I am starting a journal to help me learn how to cope better with change and how to get a good balance of work / life / recovery. I tend not to realise that I am overreacting until somebody points it out to me, which is rarely helpful. 

Does anybody have any good suggestions as to how you manage change or how you react to it?

• First off, you're not alone. I left my wife and children in Venice and took the first train home (back to Belgium) after a rather serious misunderstanding. But that reaction didn't match. I left a girl in Tunesia in a place 200 km from our campsite after a rather serious misunderstanding. I went 200 km back in my car, left her without a car. We had a problem with snowchains for the car, and all I could think of that day was how to get new snowchains if we needed them, it wasn't even sure we would need them...  

I think disruption of the routine was surely an important issue for me in most of these cases. Flight to a safe place... Not being able to chose an alternative...

From a rational point of view, NTs would tell you to get on with your life once you made an appointment to get the boiler fixed...

I hope it helps you to know that you're not the only one with these issues...