Overreacting

Today I wasted an entire day because I couldn't shower. The boiler broke, which disrupted my routine and meant I stayed in my pyjamas because I couldn't have clothes touching my skin so I was distracted and got very little work done. I appreciate that this is an unusual reaction to something NTs might consider relatively minor, so I am starting a journal to help me learn how to cope better with change and how to get a good balance of work / life / recovery. I tend not to realise that I am overreacting until somebody points it out to me, which is rarely helpful. 

Does anybody have any good suggestions as to how you manage change or how you react to it?

Parents
  • First off, you're not alone. I left my wife and children in Venice and took the first train home (back to Belgium) after a rather serious misunderstanding. But that reaction didn't match. I left a girl in Tunesia in a place 200 km from our campsite after a rather serious misunderstanding. I went 200 km back in my car, left her without a car. We had a problem with snowchains for the car, and all I could think of that day was how to get new snowchains if we needed them, it wasn't even sure we would need them...  

I think disruption of the routine was surely an important issue for me in most of these cases. Flight to a safe place... Not being able to chose an alternative...

From a rational point of view, NTs would tell you to get on with your life once you made an appointment to get the boiler fixed...

I hope it helps you to know that you're not the only one with these issues...

• First off, you're not alone. I left my wife and children in Venice and took the first train home (back to Belgium) after a rather serious misunderstanding. But that reaction didn't match. I left a girl in Tunesia in a place 200 km from our campsite after a rather serious misunderstanding. I went 200 km back in my car, left her without a car. We had a problem with snowchains for the car, and all I could think of that day was how to get new snowchains if we needed them, it wasn't even sure we would need them...  

I think disruption of the routine was surely an important issue for me in most of these cases. Flight to a safe place... Not being able to chose an alternative...

From a rational point of view, NTs would tell you to get on with your life once you made an appointment to get the boiler fixed...

I hope it helps you to know that you're not the only one with these issues...

Children
No Data