anxiety at school and meltdowns at home

I have recently become a SENCo at a large comprehensive school.  A number of pupils that I have with ASD are showing the 'Jekyll and Hyde' characteristics (Attwood).  In other words, they are behaving well and fitting in at school, but having huge meltdowns as soon as they get home.  I would love to be able to support parents, as well as these pupils.  Has anyone got any ideas of what I can do at school to help, when there don't appear to be any problems and the pupils aren't verbalising any issues?  Thanks

Parents

• wrote:

Has anyone got any ideas of what I can do at school to help, when there don't appear to be any problems and the pupils aren't verbalising any issues? 

Tony Attwood's book the The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, is chock a block with information and work arounds about the maturational stage developments of pre-adolescent and adolescent children with autism, obviously more centred upon Asperger's Syndrome, but as I have been informed by social workers that I suggested the book to, the information in the book has been generally useful across the board.

The basic suggestion for school induced meltdowns, is a period of private relaxation once returning home without any requests or orders to do anything ~ so as to calm down and relax from the demands of school, or if pent up ~ a sporting activity or such like to physically burn off the tension.

Might having a good jumping on the spot and loosing up session at the middle and the end of the school day be worker there perhaps?

• wrote:

Has anyone got any ideas of what I can do at school to help, when there don't appear to be any problems and the pupils aren't verbalising any issues? 

Tony Attwood's book the The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, is chock a block with information and work arounds about the maturational stage developments of pre-adolescent and adolescent children with autism, obviously more centred upon Asperger's Syndrome, but as I have been informed by social workers that I suggested the book to, the information in the book has been generally useful across the board.

The basic suggestion for school induced meltdowns, is a period of private relaxation once returning home without any requests or orders to do anything ~ so as to calm down and relax from the demands of school, or if pent up ~ a sporting activity or such like to physically burn off the tension.

Might having a good jumping on the spot and loosing up session at the middle and the end of the school day be worker there perhaps?

Children
No Data