Asperger's and the Mental Health Act (England)

Hello and happy new year :)

I'm a first time poster, so hopefully this makes sense, without me disclosing anything confidential.

I recently began supporting a young adult who has recently transitioned over from CAMHS. The individual has spent almost 6 months detained on a section of the MHA, but most of this was spent on a CAMHS ward. The individual has Aspergers and the transition onto the adult ward appears to be very unsettling and distressing and is possibly hindering recovery, rather than helping.

I am new to this area and I am trying to find whatever information, guidance and advice I can, that will be most beneficial. From the research I have done so far, I know that a mental health ward is not the best place for somebody in these circumstances. But is there another type of unit or ward which would be more therapeutic and supportive, and what would be the steps in accessing this type of care and support?

Any signposting would be great, as I am unfamiliar with this area and I am not a professional.

Parents
  • I'm aware this is two months after you posted, so hope this has been resolved. Was this young person detained (sounds like a section 3) with Aspergers as the sole diagnosis (this shouldn't really happen)? I presume there was a threat of self-harm.

A psychiatric ward is distressing for most people and I could imagine would be even more so for someone on the spectrum. A crisis house may be more relaxed. Would supported accommodation be possible?

Interested to hear of your experiences because of the current review of the Mental Health Act.

• I'm aware this is two months after you posted, so hope this has been resolved. Was this young person detained (sounds like a section 3) with Aspergers as the sole diagnosis (this shouldn't really happen)? I presume there was a threat of self-harm.

A psychiatric ward is distressing for most people and I could imagine would be even more so for someone on the spectrum. A crisis house may be more relaxed. Would supported accommodation be possible?

Interested to hear of your experiences because of the current review of the Mental Health Act.

Children
No Data