Only way to cope with autism is to use dissociation

My only way to cope with my autism is to use dissociation. I only started getting this two years ago and as most of the research I did said that its over a stressful time I thought it was because of my mum getting a new job. But I have an under active thyroid and I then did more research and found out that the pills I was taking (levothyroxin) could cause dissociation. Recently over the Xmas break I have been out of routine and so have been forgetting to take my pill. Cos of this I have been having angry meltdowns increased anxiety and heavy mood swing which since taking the pill to dissociate out I haven't. I'm now back on them and have return to a more neurotypical person. With dissociation I feel like I'm in a dream and often can't remember or have no idea what people are really saying to me, to some the is a very bad mental illness but to me it makes me better and it is the only way for me to cope. What do you guys think should I get this checked out and stopped when I'm a better person with it ? Does anybody else have this I'm so confused and really need some answers? Love Lily xxxx

Parents
  • I find it interesting that you say "use" dissociation (an observation, not a criticism!)  For me, it is something which has usually just happens without me having any sense of control over it. I agree, however, that it is a "way to cope" - but more of an automatic one which my brain uses to isolate itself from what might otherwise be overwhelming sensory or emotional experiences. I think it's very closely related to the partial shut-downs (and sometimes total shut-downs) which I experience when I'm overstimulated or exhausted; they shade into each other without any definite boundary between shut-down and dissociation. I think that my poor proprioception and interoception play into this too; I am never quite in touch with what my body is doing, making it easier for my mind to dissociate from my body.

I don't have a thyroid condition (I've been tested many times to see if it was a factor in my traits), but I've spoken with plenty of other autistic people on line who dissociate easily. In your case, with the medication seemingly the trigger for dissociation, I can certainly see how, for an autistic person, it might be an attractive or useful way to muffle the world outside to ease mental strain. To a degree, I do use it that way; although I don't have a pill that I can take, getting really immersed in a special interest or going on a nature ramble quite often induce that state, so although I don't have direct control, I can create a situations where it's likely to happen as a way to give my brain a break.

To my mind, it's a matter of weighing the good side and the bad side; if the medication is helping you overall, then I wouldn't be too worried about it - what really matters is whether the consequences of being spaced out better than the consequences of the mood swings for you and the people around you.

• I find it interesting that you say "use" dissociation (an observation, not a criticism!)  For me, it is something which has usually just happens without me having any sense of control over it. I agree, however, that it is a "way to cope" - but more of an automatic one which my brain uses to isolate itself from what might otherwise be overwhelming sensory or emotional experiences. I think it's very closely related to the partial shut-downs (and sometimes total shut-downs) which I experience when I'm overstimulated or exhausted; they shade into each other without any definite boundary between shut-down and dissociation. I think that my poor proprioception and interoception play into this too; I am never quite in touch with what my body is doing, making it easier for my mind to dissociate from my body.

I don't have a thyroid condition (I've been tested many times to see if it was a factor in my traits), but I've spoken with plenty of other autistic people on line who dissociate easily. In your case, with the medication seemingly the trigger for dissociation, I can certainly see how, for an autistic person, it might be an attractive or useful way to muffle the world outside to ease mental strain. To a degree, I do use it that way; although I don't have a pill that I can take, getting really immersed in a special interest or going on a nature ramble quite often induce that state, so although I don't have direct control, I can create a situations where it's likely to happen as a way to give my brain a break.

To my mind, it's a matter of weighing the good side and the bad side; if the medication is helping you overall, then I wouldn't be too worried about it - what really matters is whether the consequences of being spaced out better than the consequences of the mood swings for you and the people around you.

Children
  • Problem is with thyroxine it tends to be a case of you need the medication because your thyroid doesn't work on it's own. Mine has never worked from birth so literally I must take it or I'll go into a coma and die. I'm not sure how it is for the original person Lilysnape if hers is just a little under or is more severe?

For me it was the none working thyroid from birth plus the fact it wasn't found until I was 23 months old that caused the damage to the brain that caused the autism.  For people who were autistic first then maybe got a low thyroid in adult life (as many older non-autistic adults also get sometimes) I don't know whether the levothyroxine has the same effects on the adult already fully developed brain?

For me I believe my degree of autism/dissociation etc may have been a result of no thyroxine when needed for the developing brain as I already had severe symptoms of autism by 23/24 month old.