Only way to cope with autism is to use dissociation

My only way to cope with my autism is to use dissociation. I only started getting this two years ago and as most of the research I did said that its over a stressful time I thought it was because of my mum getting a new job. But I have an under active thyroid and I then did more research and found out that the pills I was taking (levothyroxin) could cause dissociation. Recently over the Xmas break I have been out of routine and so have been forgetting to take my pill. Cos of this I have been having angry meltdowns increased anxiety and heavy mood swing which since taking the pill to dissociate out I haven't. I'm now back on them and have return to a more neurotypical person. With dissociation I feel like I'm in a dream and often can't remember or have no idea what people are really saying to me, to some the is a very bad mental illness but to me it makes me better and it is the only way for me to cope. What do you guys think should I get this checked out and stopped when I'm a better person with it ? Does anybody else have this I'm so confused and really need some answers? Love Lily xxxx

Parents
  • Hi

I found this post on google when looking something up and was interested in your comment that levothyroxine could cause dissociation.

I was born with my thyroid not working and have been on it since 23 months old (I'm now nearly 50 yrs old). I have NEVER been told this, even though I am also diagnosed as Autistic and had it severely in childhood. 

Fortunately (or unfortunately as it now seems) I had this amazing ability to lose myself in fantasy and create new persona's who became 'alters' to deal with the outside world. I've spent years thinking I had mental illness ON TOP of Autism or that they have misdiagnosed me and it's only now all this research is coming out on the differences in women with Autism and the long term effects of masking and camouflaging that I have begun to finally understand myself at 49 years old!

I've never come across any mention specifically though that levothyroxine causes dissociation and wondered if you could tell me where you saw this information? 

My personal experience has been that psychological stress affects my thyroxine levels which in turn causes physical symptoms of under active thyroid even if my blood test results come back 'in the normal range'. I thought I had chronic fatigue and fybromyalgia for years but now realise its the stress of constant masking and having to dissociate to be able to function. After totally isolating myself for months reducing all pressure 'to perform' almost all my physical symptoms have disappeared. 

As soon as I have to 'deal with people' or cope with something/going out my system starts to shut down and I can only function as one of my alters.It will then take me several days to recover from (even an hour or two of having to cope with people in my space). 

I was once able to cope with going to college, university and work but it seems I have paid a very high price with my mental health due to the intense level of masking needed to get through all that and present as 'normal' (at a time when mental health issues and learning disabilities were not understood)

Kit

• Hi

I found this post on google when looking something up and was interested in your comment that levothyroxine could cause dissociation.

I was born with my thyroid not working and have been on it since 23 months old (I'm now nearly 50 yrs old). I have NEVER been told this, even though I am also diagnosed as Autistic and had it severely in childhood. 

Fortunately (or unfortunately as it now seems) I had this amazing ability to lose myself in fantasy and create new persona's who became 'alters' to deal with the outside world. I've spent years thinking I had mental illness ON TOP of Autism or that they have misdiagnosed me and it's only now all this research is coming out on the differences in women with Autism and the long term effects of masking and camouflaging that I have begun to finally understand myself at 49 years old!

I've never come across any mention specifically though that levothyroxine causes dissociation and wondered if you could tell me where you saw this information? 

My personal experience has been that psychological stress affects my thyroxine levels which in turn causes physical symptoms of under active thyroid even if my blood test results come back 'in the normal range'. I thought I had chronic fatigue and fybromyalgia for years but now realise its the stress of constant masking and having to dissociate to be able to function. After totally isolating myself for months reducing all pressure 'to perform' almost all my physical symptoms have disappeared. 

As soon as I have to 'deal with people' or cope with something/going out my system starts to shut down and I can only function as one of my alters.It will then take me several days to recover from (even an hour or two of having to cope with people in my space). 

I was once able to cope with going to college, university and work but it seems I have paid a very high price with my mental health due to the intense level of masking needed to get through all that and present as 'normal' (at a time when mental health issues and learning disabilities were not understood)

Kit

Children