Dealing with Diagnosis

This week I finally went for assessment and the results are in. It's a yes.

I thought I'd be happy about it but now I'm not so sure. It's really positive that I finally make sense and at 27 that's a huge relief. It also really sucks to have somebody else tell you how inept you are at life and to have to explain the job losses, uni drop outs, relationship breakdowns and all the other negatives that inevitably come from nearly three decades of undiagnosed ASD. I thought I'd scrape through and be told something along the lines of 'mild difficulties,' but to hear 'obviously autistic' was not what I expected at all.

I'm wondering how everybody else reacted to diagnosis? Was it what you expected, and did you do anything to help you process the result? Thank you in advance.

Parents
  • I'm wondering how everybody else reacted to diagnosis? Was it what you expected, and did you do anything to help you process the result? Thank you in advance.

When I got diagnosed (Asperger's) it was what I expected, I didn't really react as to me it was by that stage purely a rubber stamping exercise and I didn't need to process it as I already knew I had Asperger's.

I look at it as having Asperger's it just part of the person that I am, it's so intrinsically part of me that it wasn't something I needed to come to terms with and the start of the process had really been the point where everything had fallen into place, it explained things, made sense of things and made understanding the rest easier, but that was a process of understanding that took place well before the official diagnosis and getting a piece of paper.

• I'm wondering how everybody else reacted to diagnosis? Was it what you expected, and did you do anything to help you process the result? Thank you in advance.

When I got diagnosed (Asperger's) it was what I expected, I didn't really react as to me it was by that stage purely a rubber stamping exercise and I didn't need to process it as I already knew I had Asperger's.

I look at it as having Asperger's it just part of the person that I am, it's so intrinsically part of me that it wasn't something I needed to come to terms with and the start of the process had really been the point where everything had fallen into place, it explained things, made sense of things and made understanding the rest easier, but that was a process of understanding that took place well before the official diagnosis and getting a piece of paper.

Children