Getting an NHS diagnosis for high-functioning girl- doctor recommendations

Does anyone out there have any recommendations for NHS doctors who are good at diagnosing girls (and particularly teen girls) with high functioning autism/ Aspergers? Working with a girl who has had initial CAHMS assessment and autism ruled out on basis that she presents too well and can have a conversation (classic girl flying under the radar stuff), and was then diagnosed with ADHD which completely does not fit and everyone who works with her, and family agree. We all believe she has high functioning autism so looking for a good recommendation for a second opinion- ideally NHS due to cost considerations, but will go private if need to. Will travel anywhere! Please help!  Thank you.

  • Hi NAS35508,

    You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who are best suited to answer. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm).Please note that the Helpline is experiencing increasingly high demand, and you may not reach them straight away.

    Please see the following link for further information:

    Kind regards,

    Heather - Mod

  • Hello, my daughter was sent twice to our local services who said she had autistic traits. Suffering with terrible anxiety, school phobia and many other things she was duagnose at the Lorna Wing Centre at 16 yrs old. She had been going  to camhs since before 5 yrs and unable to attend school from 14. 

    The Lorna wing centre totally understood my daughter and the difference between girls on the spectrum , my son was diagnose with Asoergers at 8 yrs.

    At the age of 51 I too went to the Lorna Wing Centre and was diagnosed with Aspergers, I knew at my daughters diagnosis that many things we discussed related to me I had buried them as I went through life until I couldnt anymore..

    please look up Lorna Wing Centre and you could also listen too some talks online by Dr Judith Gould a total understanding of women and girls with Autism and a total relief.