Heightened Anxiety

My anxiety is sky high right now. My heart is pumping away, I'm getting tunnel vision, I'm getting hot flushes, constant need to go to the loo, aches in joints, the works. 

It's all to do with this pending diagnosis. Having read about autism I now want the diagnosis but am anxious that I won't get it for some reason. Maybe I didn't tell them enough or there's some detail that they didn't ask about in the assessment that I'll rely upon for the diagnosis. Being high functioning I think it's going to be touch and go whether I qualify for a diagnosis or not. But having spoken to work I know I will be relying on a diagnosis in order to get the help that I need before things start to go wrong again.

And now I can't sleep because I'm too anxious. What can I do to relax?

Parents
  • Grahem357: said:

What can I do to relax?

Aside from or along with the deep gentle pelvic breathing as suggested previously, you could try one of the 'tech-support' options that are available such as Binaural Harmonics ~ "Focus at Work - Relax at Home - Sleep at Night" ~ at https://mynoise.net/noiseMachines.php, providing you have or can get some earphones, of which I find the ear-plug variety work the best for me.

Here are a few testimonials about particular soundscapes from the site:

It radiates harmony and balance, and provides an incredibly calm sensation. I wish I could tell the whole world about this! ”
    “ This is probably my favourite noise generator so far. I live with ADHD and sensory processing issues that can get quite severe sometimes. This is the perfect compromise when my ADHD requires distraction in the form of background noise but my misophonia makes me extremely picky about what sounds I can stand at that moment. Thunder always works. Very helpful for studying and falling asleep, too! ”
    “ I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping after moving to a really busy street recently. I thought I'd never get proper sleep again... until I discovered this site, and specifically this generator. It drowns out almost all the noises without being too loud on the ears. I've never had a more peaceful sleep in my life. ”

• Psst....sorry to interrupt...but can I ask a favour.....as a much respected and well read cerebral cortex...would you be kind enough apto recommend some deep thought reading for this miswired elephant...stocking up on Xmas reading....

thank you x 

• Elephantintheroom said:

Psst....sorry to interrupt...but can I ask a favour.....as a much respected and well read cerebral cortex...would you be kind enough apto recommend some deep thought reading for this miswired elephant...stocking up on Xmas reading....

thank you x 

No need to apologise for joining in and not as such therefore interrupting, although off-topicness may apply, and perhaps you are rather more in fact a perfectly wired elephant ~ if you do not mind me suggesting as much?

Well here is short list of books I am rather glad I read, just to test the waters regarding your reading tastes:

THE HERO OF A THOUSAND FACES - JOSEPH CAMPBELL (418 pages)

C. G. JUNG - Memories, Dreams, Reflections - Recorded and edited by ANIELA JAFFE (420 pages)

THE CONSCIOUS MIND - In Search of a Fundamental Theory - DAVID J. CHALMERS (414 pages)

THE GREAT TRANSFORMATION - Tthe World in the Time of Buddha, Socrates, Confucious and Jeremiah - KAREN ARMSTRONG (399 pages)

THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO ASPERGER'S SYNDROME - TONY ATTWOOD (359 pages)

STRAIGHT & CROOKED THINKING - NEW EDITION - R. H. THOULESS & C. R. THOULESS (170 pages)

PARTNERING - A NEW KIND OF RELATIONSHIP - How to Love Each Other without Losing Yourselves - Hal Stone, PH.D. & Sidra L. Stone, P.H.D (253 pages)

HOME COMING - Reclaiming & Championing Your Inner Child - JOHN BRADSHAW (288 pages)

• Glad to have been of assistance, have a good one ~ and many more.

• Thank you kindly...all exceedingly good recommendations.....I think my inner child is still shaking the nursery....and my past studies in philosophy and psychology give me plenty here to get my self into..  thank you x

still loving your work....now pardon again this interruption! 

From the nasally challenged self.....thank you for spotting me in the room! 

• Thank you kindly...all exceedingly good recommendations.....I think my inner child is still shaking the nursery....and my past studies in philosophy and psychology give me plenty here to get my self into..  thank you x

still loving your work....now pardon again this interruption! 

From the nasally challenged self.....thank you for spotting me in the room! 

Children