Heightened Anxiety

My anxiety is sky high right now. My heart is pumping away, I'm getting tunnel vision, I'm getting hot flushes, constant need to go to the loo, aches in joints, the works. 

It's all to do with this pending diagnosis. Having read about autism I now want the diagnosis but am anxious that I won't get it for some reason. Maybe I didn't tell them enough or there's some detail that they didn't ask about in the assessment that I'll rely upon for the diagnosis. Being high functioning I think it's going to be touch and go whether I qualify for a diagnosis or not. But having spoken to work I know I will be relying on a diagnosis in order to get the help that I need before things start to go wrong again.

And now I can't sleep because I'm too anxious. What can I do to relax?

Parents
  • When you go for a diagnosis.  The more anxious you are the better.  They need to see you at your worse.

• At my diagnostic interview, I simply couldn't stop talking.  She did note in the diagnostic report that I went into huge amounts of detail about things - at the same time as just looking at either the wall or the desktop in front of me.  It was cathartic to get that stuff out.  I was also conscious of being very anxious.  None of it was an act.  If it's genuine - and I'm sure it is - you won't be able to cover it up.  Just be yourself.  Try not to worry.  I've been constantly surprised to find that 'me behaving normally' (or what I think 'normal' to be) is nearly always picked up as eccentric by other people.

Good luck with it.

Tom

• At my diagnostic interview, I simply couldn't stop talking.  She did note in the diagnostic report that I went into huge amounts of detail about things - at the same time as just looking at either the wall or the desktop in front of me.  It was cathartic to get that stuff out.  I was also conscious of being very anxious.  None of it was an act.  If it's genuine - and I'm sure it is - you won't be able to cover it up.  Just be yourself.  Try not to worry.  I've been constantly surprised to find that 'me behaving normally' (or what I think 'normal' to be) is nearly always picked up as eccentric by other people.

Good luck with it.

Tom

Children
No Data