Poor Oral Hygiene

Hi all,

I was just wondering if poor oral hygiene could be as a result of my autism? There’s something about toothpaste that I just don’t like and while I make an effort to clean my teeth at least once a day it’s a struggle. And going to the dentist just sends my anxiety through the roof so I generally avoid going unless I have to.

Does any of this sound familiar? And what workarounds are there to improve my oral health?

Graham

Parents Reply Children
  • I have had huge problems with cleaning my teeth, so much so that my remaining 5 teeth are being taken out soon. Even if you can't cope with toothpaste can you come with brushing them with water at the moment and rinsing well?  Something would be better than nothing.

Gum disease and tooth decay is not nice. You loose bone in your jaw as well. 

• I've heard of waterpiks too and about brushing with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide but I don't know if thats a good idea. Also heard contradictions about using fluoride and no fluoride and organic toothpastes. It all gives me a meltdown!.