Poor Oral Hygiene

Hi all,

I was just wondering if poor oral hygiene could be as a result of my autism? There’s something about toothpaste that I just don’t like and while I make an effort to clean my teeth at least once a day it’s a struggle. And going to the dentist just sends my anxiety through the roof so I generally avoid going unless I have to.

Does any of this sound familiar? And what workarounds are there to improve my oral health?

Graham

Parents
  • Hi Graham357,

Not that I know of, but you could use a trait of autism to your advantage. Autistic people tend to prefer routines to help manage their lives, so perhaps you would be good at creating that habit of brushing and improving oral hygiene?x

Much love <3

• Hi Graham357,

Not that I know of, but you could use a trait of autism to your advantage. Autistic people tend to prefer routines to help manage their lives, so perhaps you would be good at creating that habit of brushing and improving oral hygiene?x

Much love <3

Children
  • I have been struggling with oral hygiene and other parts of hygiene for years. I also have a dentists appointment soon. I haven't been for years and I am terrified. I might even ask about sedation as my anxiety goes through the roof. Can anyone help me with any hygiene tips?. Like when you run a bath, how much hot and cold water should you use?. Which products to use?. Should you wet the toothbrush or not and should you rinse toothpaste afterwards or not?. Which toothpaste is best and is mouthwash necessary?. What if I am not brushing right because of dexterity issues?.