Poor Oral Hygiene

Hi all,

I was just wondering if poor oral hygiene could be as a result of my autism? There’s something about toothpaste that I just don’t like and while I make an effort to clean my teeth at least once a day it’s a struggle. And going to the dentist just sends my anxiety through the roof so I generally avoid going unless I have to.

Does any of this sound familiar? And what workarounds are there to improve my oral health?

Graham

Parents
  • I don't know if it is a result of your autism but people with autism often have poor hygiene.

I also have poor oral hygiene. I always brush my teeth before shaving but rarely brush my teeth otherwise. It's not that I don't like brushing my teeth or anything. I just forget.

I am ok these days with dentists although I had a dentist as a child who used to do fillings without any injections or other anaesthetic which put me off dentists for a long time.

I don't have any workarounds so I'll be interested to see if any other users have any good ideas.

• I don't know if it is a result of your autism but people with autism often have poor hygiene.

I also have poor oral hygiene. I always brush my teeth before shaving but rarely brush my teeth otherwise. It's not that I don't like brushing my teeth or anything. I just forget.

I am ok these days with dentists although I had a dentist as a child who used to do fillings without any injections or other anaesthetic which put me off dentists for a long time.

I don't have any workarounds so I'll be interested to see if any other users have any good ideas.

Children
No Data