Should I stop taking my meds?

I have been taking Fluoxetine for many years now, for what the doctors say is depression. I am currently waiting for my referral to be tested for ASD and I was wondering if I should come off the meds before? Fluoxetine helps me a lot with my anxiety and my patience with everybody around me. It takes twice as much to stress me out as it would usually, off the meds. I have tried stopping several times but every time I end up shouting at my kids and my husband feels like I shut him out even more than usual. I'm just thinking if it will have an impact on the test? Don't I need to be the real me to give them real answers? 

Parents
  • You should probably best discuss this with your GP. It is generally not good to come off ongoing medication (especially mental health related ones like SSRIs) without discussing with a doctor first.

I don't know much about fluoxetine except it is an antidepressant but do not think it would affect you sufficiently to not be the real you. I was on Citalopram (a similar SSRI) and it did not affect me beyond alleviating some anxiety symptoms.

I am not the best at explaining ASD but if there was a drug that fixed it, many would be taking it. Personally I wouldn't worry, but I am sure they will want to know if you are on any medication.

• I have been on Citalopram before but had to stop as it gave me crazy side effects. I actually don't think I would take a drug to "fix" it, it's who I am and who I have always been. What I mean is that my sensory disorder is much worse off the meds, so I feel like my answers wont be same as without the meds if that makes sense

• I have been on Citalopram before but had to stop as it gave me crazy side effects. I actually don't think I would take a drug to "fix" it, it's who I am and who I have always been. What I mean is that my sensory disorder is much worse off the meds, so I feel like my answers wont be same as without the meds if that makes sense

Children