I'm not sure if it's because of ASD

But I have a big problem with my jaw. It locks up so I can't open my mouth fully and it does it so often. I have realized that I clench my teeth together really hard all the time and I think I grind them in my sleep. Every time I yawn my jaw clicks and it hurts so much!

Could this be linked to ASD or is it a separate problem?

• Haha yeah they could! Although i'm sure it is louder inside my head of course Slight smile

• That was a very intering read! I have suffered from back pain all my life but the doctors have never given me a reason for it, except for a physio who said I have very weak core muscles in my back. Then there's my problem with my jaw and I also suffer from IBS.. I wonder if it's all connected now, hmmmm. I've also had horrible side effects from medication before

• Uggh, that implies other people can hear that? I've made myself believe so far that they can't and that it's only so loud because it's right next to the ear... Hmm, not good. Like when I found out that other people can actually pee while being in a pool... Unpleasant stuff to be aware off.

• Yeah i agree could be stress. I know i lock mine up when i'm feeling really anxious about stuff. It always clicks in and out of place if i yawn or go to the dentist (which has alarmed some of them!)

• I also clench and grind,but only whilst sleeping, my wife says I look tense when sleeping,?

good thing I don’t sleep many hours then,always wake feeling exhausted?

• I have it too. I was using the shields/guard but had to stop. Oddly enough its also mentioned as one of the symptoms mentioned on the Eds ( see Back pain thread) ... So as you say Oktanol hard to know if directly or indirectly related. 

• Hi Lone, sounds like bruxism, commonly caused by stress. I get it whilst at work, in a noisy environment. Causes me ear trouble.

Ironically, since meeting me, my wife has suffered with bruxism and teeth grinding too, due to me stressing her out Worried 

www.nhs.uk/.../

• Hi Lone, 

Having the same issue. Guess it's not directly related but indirectly via anxiety/stress. I'm sure about myself, because it gets a lot worse when I'm very anxious. These plastic things will help with teeth grinding but I guess not against your face being the equivalent to a fist all night. Guess anything that may help you to relax would be worth trying, don't think I have found anything for myself yet. I need the cause of the anxiety sorted, otherwise I don't seem able to relax, and that's not always possible...

• I don’t know if it’s ASD but you can get a jell/plastic type shield from your dentist to wear at night. Would save wear on you jaw joints regardless of the reason for the problem.