PIP face to face assessment advice

Hi, well here is the answer to my last post! We have to go for a face to face this Thursday!!. My son has turned 16 and is going from dla to pip.

After reading the booklet I am confused as it says about taking a companion as they "can add in anything that helps you explain the difficulties you face more clearly, or help you answer any questions that you're asked" yet everything I see online says they don't listen to anyone with the claimant!!. Should I point this out to the HP if they appear to be ignoring me?.

Also if am my son's appointee surely the finance question is a formality as the dwp has already decided my son cannot deal with his finances!!.

Again I am really worried he will just say he can do everything!! Is it worth me doing a care diary between now and then?.

Has anyone on here been to one of these? And have you any info on what they ask them?. I really appreciate any help.

Thanks

• Nonsense, they are all given instructions to fail over 60% of applications. You were indeed lucky.

• yes do all of the above. It took me a long time to get PIP even though I have Aspergers and a chronic spine problem. I tried to go for the higher rate as I'm getting worse but they've knocked me back, which is to be expected. I'll end up going to tribunal again and I'll win, again, because the tribunal take into consideration all that the interviewers don't.  So don't be too disheartened if the do knock you back. just ask them reconsider, which'll take a month and then it'll take a few months to get a tribunal hearing. So all in all you might get it by September. They will back date it of course so you'll get a big chunk of money then. Get all evidence you have and talk about his condition and problems at his worst, not when he's ok. You have to exaggerate it hugely to get what you really deserve. good luck.

• I've been awarded PIP twice (initial application and renew). Like IanC referenced PIP isn't a benefit simply because you have a disability. The disability needs to significantly affect your ability to carry out certain tasks, such as reading and writing, plus taking nutrition. If your son goes through the descriptors again and he believes he should be awarded enough points to receive the benefit then definitely appeal. I believe my success has been due to handing in independent evidence that demonstrates that most of the points I am making are true. This has included highlighted sections of my GP notes, OH report, a letter from my employer etc.

• Thank you. I went with him to the interview and I am sure we put across the worst case scenario. As you say, they don't really aim this at autism. I am really not sure what to do yet;  am thinking about challenging.

• NAS37125 I'd probably have him go over the descriptors again with you and use the guidelines on this site to really look. If like you say he struggles day to day, which we all do to some extent. There is likely stuff that he has not thought overly much about in terms of what he struggles with. For example, I put needed prompting on preparing meals from scratch because I do not prepare meals from scratch. I tend to use the microwave or a ready meal that you put in the oven and I can often times forget they are cooking and wind up having them a bit well done. So that allowed me to use the needs prompting to prepare a meal. That said though the HCP completely ignored that element and noted "Could be learned" 

Basically, he needs to think about how bad he gets on his worst days. Because if he goes in there and even hints that he can do most things. Then the HCP's are going to whoop for joy and will assume he can do most things to a wonderful standard on most days. So he needs to think about what help he needs when he is having his worst day. 

It's about whether you can do most things to a consistent standard on most days:) The form is not really autism-friendly or friendly toward people with mental health problems. 

I eventually got my decision overturned. But it took us about three months to bring everything together. If in doubt go to a welfare rights officer if you have them in your area. I got help that way as well as through someone that I work with. 

• Hi. My 26 year old son, who has just been diagnosed with high functioning autism, has just had PIP rejected. On paper he is able to do almost everything and has just spent years coping with it all, but, with the autism, daily life leaves him exhausted.  He struggles to work more than 16-20 hours a week, as it is completely draining coping with people. Can I ask if your son has the ability to do all the things on the form? Just debating whether to appeal or not. Thanks :)

• Still waiting to hear about my PIP. But I took someone that works with me to the appointment and had letters of support as evidence and what have you. 

I've only really been for ESA before now. And that has not been as bad as the scare stories. But I did insist on having the appointment recorded at both times with ESA. Couldn't really do that with the PIP claim though. But have a strong feeling it's going to work out anyhow, 

I think you just have to really have a legitimate diagnosis and get someone to help you play the game. But that said. I think with lifelong conditions such as ours. The awards should be indefinite or at least until we get secure enough employment or are able to stand on our own two feet. 

• That's great news! I've never found the gov to be half as bad as the scare stories on the internet make out. Does this mean you'll get receive your back payment in time for Christmas?

You're normally asked to renew the application a year in advance so you're only guaranteed the award until 2020 but that still gives you two years stress-free. I have a PIP folder on my computer and whenever I receive any relevant evidence, such an OH report,  I place it in the folder ready for my renewal application. I also make sure I 'play the game' by documenting any incidents that are relevant to the descriptors with my GP, then I can print off my medical notes and send them off as evidence too.

• Hi IanC and thanks. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and anybody else going through the PIP process!

• That's great news. 

I had my own assessment early in December. So keeping my fingers crossed. 

I think I'll likely get it. A few things happened doing my assessment where my autism traits showed up. I have the high functioning type, which would likely have been considered Aspergers before they changed the criteria. Which is quite funny given that as a young child they have considered me as classic autistic given that I didn't speak until I was 5 years old. 

Anyhow SparkythePug. Glad it has worked out for you and yours.

This system is ridiculous. They really need to change it and they need to make the PIP assessment more Autism friendly like the ESA one. In the ESA one, they have a couple of questions that directly correlate with Autism. You know the how do you handle change in daily routines and such. They need to get that question somehow incorporated into the PIP form and they also need to look at the travel one again. A lot find using public transport difficult and with EF and various sensory issues it can be really, really difficult to concentrate and get off at the right stop. The way they have worded for reasons other than anxiety on the form is a disgrace. It as if they do not consider anxiety to be a problem When it can be huge. 

• Well now I feel weird! We got the letter finally yesterday and the DWP have awarded my son PIP!! We had prepared ourselves for a big fat "NO!" and the resulting appeals and tribunal in the new year but now I feel bad for assuming the worst!. The points given were pretty fair, he has got the higher rate for both parts and they have given it to him 'til Oct 2021, so we can stop worrying for 3 years! It is such a relief!! We can't quite believe it!. 

• Hey, another update! Rang again today and they finally got the ATOS report on dec 1st so just gotta wait for the decision now!! Hopefully before christmas but it is not gonna be much fun getting a "computer says no!" Letter right on top of Xmas!!!. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst!! 

• I recommend you take your support worker with you if you have one or at the very least someone who knows a bit about autistic who knows when best to step in and help you. 

I had mine on Friday 1 Dec and thankfully had someone with me that has been working with me for three years. So knows all of my issues... Much of what I struggle with on a day to day is executive functioning related. I also struggle with auditory sensory issues. So we worked on those in the form and told the assessor pretty much the same as we'd put on the form. There was one point in my interview where I was struggling to describe the difficulties that I have when it comes to preparing a simple meal, which basically translated to the fact that I need prompting because of the smaller tasks involved in doing so. Thankfully the person I took with me knew to step in. 

But be honest. And say what you said on the form because that is what the assessors are working with. 

I don't really know how I did. All I will say is that the guy I got was pretty intimidating with his directness. But I'm thinking positively because my EF can be very bad. Especially when stressed and overwhelmed with too many things to do. 

Good luck. 

• Thanks for the reply but I rang ATOS as well and they confirmed it had not been sent yet. They said claims are picked at random for checking and there is no time guidance for them!. I think the whole system is a joke! and call me cynical but why, when you go to tribunal do the assessors not have to be involved??? all seems a bit fishy to me!. I have filled the forms, answered loads of questions over the phone, taken my son to the assessment and they still are stalling??!!. I just don't get it!!. It would not surprise me if every report is "audited" and manipulated to suit!!. Let us hope they prove me wrong but I am not holding my breath!.

• I was given the same message when I chased and then the letter arrived the next day! It comes across as though they're allowed to tell you much by phone. Don't forget the DWP relies on humans to run its service so waiting times are just a guide. It is the time of the year when people start to be off with colds and flu, plus a lot of people take annual leave to go Christmas shopping so services do tend to slow down.

• Hi, here is an update! It has been 4 weeks since the assessment and we have heard nothing so this morning I rand the DWP. They informed me that they have not had the report from the assessors as yetRage!!!!!. We have been waiting every day expecting a letter from them but now it will be weeks more waiting!! I am soo annoyed. Especially at this time of year, we don't know where we are until we knowRageone way or another and my son has exams in the spring so if we have to go to tribunal it could be a nightmare!! Rage

• Great news, I hope the wait isn't too long. 

• Thanks for all your replies, i have just come back from the assessment and it was not too bad. The assessor allowed me and my husband in the room and both of us contributed to the assessment. It was sometimes hard to describe WHY he can't do things but we did our best. He was asked to remember 3 words and then after the physical assessment was asked to repeat them back and only remembered 2 of the 3. He was also asked to fold a piece of paper 3 times but only did it twice before he gave it back. Oh well we just have to wait now until we get the decision. i'll let you know the results when I get them.

• I've been to two and have been awarded enhanced rate daily living at both. As misfit61 mentioned, the benefit isn't given out solely based on what label you have. Its a points game and the benefit will only be awarded if you meet enough points across the different categories. Unfortunately, a number of people do lie on their form (I work with someone who did that) so you will be asked a number of questions based on what you have written to clarify that the statements you have made are true. At both of my assessments I have taken along supplementary independent evidence, which proved what I was saying was true. This included PDOC letters, OH reports, fit notes, a letter from a manager at work etc. Is your son still attending school or college? If he is could you get one of his teachers to write a witness statement. This would certainly help if your son is likely to lie.

I read a lot of horror stories on the internet before my first assessment and that caused a lot of needless worry. My first assessor was really lovely and went out of her way to put me at ease. The second one came across as really quiet and didn't talk much but she was very efficient at her job.

• Please put Pip in the search at the top of the page and you will be able to read other posts about Pip which is helpful. Take the booklet with you in case they ignore you. They do prefer answers from the claimant. Yes do a diary for your own reference if not theirs, which you can use as a prompt and they may photocopy. They go through absolutely every part of the Pip form with you in detail asking all sorts of questions. It is very intrusive. If you can be thoroughly prepared for each area. Mention absolutely everything that your son has difficulty with. Do not leave anything out. Become a member of BenefitsandWork because they do detailed supported advice for pip and ESA and how to talk about each item in relation to Safely, repeatedly, in a timely fashion and a 4th thing which escapes me. Be as fully prepared as you can because just having autism isn’t enough you have to give clear examples to get points. Cab as mentioned are also very good and would recommend them as well. Look at the point system and have at least 3 examples with description if you can for each thing you want to emphasise. Try to give examples of what happens if you don’t help or support him. Make it about what he can and can’t do just as much as what you do and don’t do for him. It’s tough. Also be very very aware that their nice calm pleasant manner is probably that but don’t believe for one second they won’t use that veneer to catch you out. Sorry to be so cynical. Best advice get proper help like cab or welfare rights. Don’t try to go it alone.