PIP face to face assessment advice

Hi, well here is the answer to my last post! We have to go for a face to face this Thursday!!. My son has turned 16 and is going from dla to pip.

After reading the booklet I am confused as it says about taking a companion as they "can add in anything that helps you explain the difficulties you face more clearly, or help you answer any questions that you're asked" yet everything I see online says they don't listen to anyone with the claimant!!. Should I point this out to the HP if they appear to be ignoring me?.

Also if am my son's appointee surely the finance question is a formality as the dwp has already decided my son cannot deal with his finances!!.

Again I am really worried he will just say he can do everything!! Is it worth me doing a care diary between now and then?.

Has anyone on here been to one of these? And have you any info on what they ask them?. I really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Parents
  • Well now I feel weird! We got the letter finally yesterday and the DWP have awarded my son PIP!! We had prepared ourselves for a big fat "NO!" and the resulting appeals and tribunal in the new year but now I feel bad for assuming the worst!. The points given were pretty fair, he has got the higher rate for both parts and they have given it to him 'til Oct 2021, so we can stop worrying for 3 years! It is such a relief!! We can't quite believe it!. 

• Hi. My 26 year old son, who has just been diagnosed with high functioning autism, has just had PIP rejected. On paper he is able to do almost everything and has just spent years coping with it all, but, with the autism, daily life leaves him exhausted.  He struggles to work more than 16-20 hours a week, as it is completely draining coping with people. Can I ask if your son has the ability to do all the things on the form? Just debating whether to appeal or not. Thanks :)

• Hi. My 26 year old son, who has just been diagnosed with high functioning autism, has just had PIP rejected. On paper he is able to do almost everything and has just spent years coping with it all, but, with the autism, daily life leaves him exhausted.  He struggles to work more than 16-20 hours a week, as it is completely draining coping with people. Can I ask if your son has the ability to do all the things on the form? Just debating whether to appeal or not. Thanks :)

Children
  • I've been awarded PIP twice (initial application and renew). Like IanC referenced PIP isn't a benefit simply because you have a disability. The disability needs to significantly affect your ability to carry out certain tasks, such as reading and writing, plus taking nutrition. If your son goes through the descriptors again and he believes he should be awarded enough points to receive the benefit then definitely appeal. I believe my success has been due to handing in independent evidence that demonstrates that most of the points I am making are true. This has included highlighted sections of my GP notes, OH report, a letter from my employer etc.

• Thank you. I went with him to the interview and I am sure we put across the worst case scenario. As you say, they don't really aim this at autism. I am really not sure what to do yet;  am thinking about challenging.

• NAS37125 I'd probably have him go over the descriptors again with you and use the guidelines on this site to really look. If like you say he struggles day to day, which we all do to some extent. There is likely stuff that he has not thought overly much about in terms of what he struggles with. For example, I put needed prompting on preparing meals from scratch because I do not prepare meals from scratch. I tend to use the microwave or a ready meal that you put in the oven and I can often times forget they are cooking and wind up having them a bit well done. So that allowed me to use the needs prompting to prepare a meal. That said though the HCP completely ignored that element and noted "Could be learned" 

Basically, he needs to think about how bad he gets on his worst days. Because if he goes in there and even hints that he can do most things. Then the HCP's are going to whoop for joy and will assume he can do most things to a wonderful standard on most days. So he needs to think about what help he needs when he is having his worst day. 

It's about whether you can do most things to a consistent standard on most days:) The form is not really autism-friendly or friendly toward people with mental health problems. 

I eventually got my decision overturned. But it took us about three months to bring everything together. If in doubt go to a welfare rights officer if you have them in your area. I got help that way as well as through someone that I work with.