PIP face to face assessment advice

Hi, well here is the answer to my last post! We have to go for a face to face this Thursday!!. My son has turned 16 and is going from dla to pip.

After reading the booklet I am confused as it says about taking a companion as they "can add in anything that helps you explain the difficulties you face more clearly, or help you answer any questions that you're asked" yet everything I see online says they don't listen to anyone with the claimant!!. Should I point this out to the HP if they appear to be ignoring me?.

Also if am my son's appointee surely the finance question is a formality as the dwp has already decided my son cannot deal with his finances!!.

Again I am really worried he will just say he can do everything!! Is it worth me doing a care diary between now and then?.

Has anyone on here been to one of these? And have you any info on what they ask them?. I really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Parents
  • Well now I feel weird! We got the letter finally yesterday and the DWP have awarded my son PIP!! We had prepared ourselves for a big fat "NO!" and the resulting appeals and tribunal in the new year but now I feel bad for assuming the worst!. The points given were pretty fair, he has got the higher rate for both parts and they have given it to him 'til Oct 2021, so we can stop worrying for 3 years! It is such a relief!! We can't quite believe it!. 

• That's great news. 

I had my own assessment early in December. So keeping my fingers crossed. 

I think I'll likely get it. A few things happened doing my assessment where my autism traits showed up. I have the high functioning type, which would likely have been considered Aspergers before they changed the criteria. Which is quite funny given that as a young child they have considered me as classic autistic given that I didn't speak until I was 5 years old. 

Anyhow SparkythePug. Glad it has worked out for you and yours.

This system is ridiculous. They really need to change it and they need to make the PIP assessment more Autism friendly like the ESA one. In the ESA one, they have a couple of questions that directly correlate with Autism. You know the how do you handle change in daily routines and such. They need to get that question somehow incorporated into the PIP form and they also need to look at the travel one again. A lot find using public transport difficult and with EF and various sensory issues it can be really, really difficult to concentrate and get off at the right stop. The way they have worded for reasons other than anxiety on the form is a disgrace. It as if they do not consider anxiety to be a problem When it can be huge. 

• Hi IanC and thanks. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and anybody else going through the PIP process!

• Still waiting to hear about my PIP. But I took someone that works with me to the appointment and had letters of support as evidence and what have you. 

I've only really been for ESA before now. And that has not been as bad as the scare stories. But I did insist on having the appointment recorded at both times with ESA. Couldn't really do that with the PIP claim though. But have a strong feeling it's going to work out anyhow, 

I think you just have to really have a legitimate diagnosis and get someone to help you play the game. But that said. I think with lifelong conditions such as ours. The awards should be indefinite or at least until we get secure enough employment or are able to stand on our own two feet. 

• Still waiting to hear about my PIP. But I took someone that works with me to the appointment and had letters of support as evidence and what have you. 

I've only really been for ESA before now. And that has not been as bad as the scare stories. But I did insist on having the appointment recorded at both times with ESA. Couldn't really do that with the PIP claim though. But have a strong feeling it's going to work out anyhow, 

I think you just have to really have a legitimate diagnosis and get someone to help you play the game. But that said. I think with lifelong conditions such as ours. The awards should be indefinite or at least until we get secure enough employment or are able to stand on our own two feet. 

Children
No Data