PIP face to face assessment advice

Hi, well here is the answer to my last post! We have to go for a face to face this Thursday!!. My son has turned 16 and is going from dla to pip.

After reading the booklet I am confused as it says about taking a companion as they "can add in anything that helps you explain the difficulties you face more clearly, or help you answer any questions that you're asked" yet everything I see online says they don't listen to anyone with the claimant!!. Should I point this out to the HP if they appear to be ignoring me?.

Also if am my son's appointee surely the finance question is a formality as the dwp has already decided my son cannot deal with his finances!!.

Again I am really worried he will just say he can do everything!! Is it worth me doing a care diary between now and then?.

Has anyone on here been to one of these? And have you any info on what they ask them?. I really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Parents
  • Please put Pip in the search at the top of the page and you will be able to read other posts about Pip which is helpful. Take the booklet with you in case they ignore you. They do prefer answers from the claimant. Yes do a diary for your own reference if not theirs, which you can use as a prompt and they may photocopy. They go through absolutely every part of the Pip form with you in detail asking all sorts of questions. It is very intrusive. If you can be thoroughly prepared for each area. Mention absolutely everything that your son has difficulty with. Do not leave anything out. Become a member of BenefitsandWork because they do detailed supported advice for pip and ESA and how to talk about each item in relation to Safely, repeatedly, in a timely fashion and a 4th thing which escapes me. Be as fully prepared as you can because just having autism isn’t enough you have to give clear examples to get points. Cab as mentioned are also very good and would recommend them as well. Look at the point system and have at least 3 examples with description if you can for each thing you want to emphasise. Try to give examples of what happens if you don’t help or support him. Make it about what he can and can’t do just as much as what you do and don’t do for him. It’s tough. Also be very very aware that their nice calm pleasant manner is probably that but don’t believe for one second they won’t use that veneer to catch you out. Sorry to be so cynical. Best advice get proper help like cab or welfare rights. Don’t try to go it alone. 

• Please put Pip in the search at the top of the page and you will be able to read other posts about Pip which is helpful. Take the booklet with you in case they ignore you. They do prefer answers from the claimant. Yes do a diary for your own reference if not theirs, which you can use as a prompt and they may photocopy. They go through absolutely every part of the Pip form with you in detail asking all sorts of questions. It is very intrusive. If you can be thoroughly prepared for each area. Mention absolutely everything that your son has difficulty with. Do not leave anything out. Become a member of BenefitsandWork because they do detailed supported advice for pip and ESA and how to talk about each item in relation to Safely, repeatedly, in a timely fashion and a 4th thing which escapes me. Be as fully prepared as you can because just having autism isn’t enough you have to give clear examples to get points. Cab as mentioned are also very good and would recommend them as well. Look at the point system and have at least 3 examples with description if you can for each thing you want to emphasise. Try to give examples of what happens if you don’t help or support him. Make it about what he can and can’t do just as much as what you do and don’t do for him. It’s tough. Also be very very aware that their nice calm pleasant manner is probably that but don’t believe for one second they won’t use that veneer to catch you out. Sorry to be so cynical. Best advice get proper help like cab or welfare rights. Don’t try to go it alone. 

Children
No Data