What to expect at an adult assessment for ASD

Hi all,

I'm completely new to this community and was wondering if you could help me?

I am a 23 year old female who has been finally referred for an assessment for diagnosis. 

I'm sure you're all aware of how difficult this can be, being a girl and every single medical professional never taking you or your parents seriously and so on because you outwardly appear 'normal' whatever that is. 

I was diagnosed with an unspecified developmental disorder as a child because they didn't have enough evidence to say I had ASD (or perhaps because I lied a lot to avoid a diagnosis because I didn't want any more bullying or people to think I was weird) it's tough being a teenager!

since my referral I've been browsing this online community and other sites and I can resonate with a lot of the things people are posting and talking about. I too often find myself overwhelmed by sounds and lights as if the world is a living, spinning kaleidoscope. I love animals, they're all I want to talk about and I have loved collecting facts about them for as long as I can remember  

anyway my question is...

What should I expect at an adult assessment for ASD?

what questions do they ask/how long does it take/is it really awkward/frightening

i am really nervous even thinking about it, thank  you

Parents
  • I'm just out from my initial assessment. It was brutal and I was close to tears during it. But the Clinical lead and a sit in psychologist? I believe from another team were there.  I went with my mother and we were through the initial development questionnaire. I couldn't be articulate for some of the questions but that was okay.  It was a spacious room with a table and chairs. 

It was not very pleasant. Because it laid a lot stuff raw, but they seemed quite discontent with the fact the only mental health care or I'd had was with my GP. That I'd not had any other support. After an hour,  I was told that I'd definitely be back for the full assessment. They tried to find an opening in the next week or so. But 6th October was his next few date for the DISCO .

He said I'd likely find out at the end of that assessment. 

I was shaking and nervous. It was brutal. But it was worth being taken serious.  This is my initial assessment experience. If I think more later I will edit this post and add to it. 

• I'm just out from my initial assessment. It was brutal and I was close to tears during it. But the Clinical lead and a sit in psychologist? I believe from another team were there.  I went with my mother and we were through the initial development questionnaire. I couldn't be articulate for some of the questions but that was okay.  It was a spacious room with a table and chairs. 

It was not very pleasant. Because it laid a lot stuff raw, but they seemed quite discontent with the fact the only mental health care or I'd had was with my GP. That I'd not had any other support. After an hour,  I was told that I'd definitely be back for the full assessment. They tried to find an opening in the next week or so. But 6th October was his next few date for the DISCO .

He said I'd likely find out at the end of that assessment. 

I was shaking and nervous. It was brutal. But it was worth being taken serious.  This is my initial assessment experience. If I think more later I will edit this post and add to it. 

Children
  • It is invasive going into personal things we try to ignore or not highlight to ourselves. I hope you are recovering from the shaking. I expect you will be really tired for the rest of the day and tomorrow. It's good news the next assessment will be using the Disco format. It's also encouraging that they were concerned about the lack of support you had had. They seem to be on the ball so although difficult for you it sounds as though you were in good hands.