What to expect at an adult assessment for ASD

Hi all,

I'm completely new to this community and was wondering if you could help me?

I am a 23 year old female who has been finally referred for an assessment for diagnosis. 

I'm sure you're all aware of how difficult this can be, being a girl and every single medical professional never taking you or your parents seriously and so on because you outwardly appear 'normal' whatever that is. 

I was diagnosed with an unspecified developmental disorder as a child because they didn't have enough evidence to say I had ASD (or perhaps because I lied a lot to avoid a diagnosis because I didn't want any more bullying or people to think I was weird) it's tough being a teenager!

since my referral I've been browsing this online community and other sites and I can resonate with a lot of the things people are posting and talking about. I too often find myself overwhelmed by sounds and lights as if the world is a living, spinning kaleidoscope. I love animals, they're all I want to talk about and I have loved collecting facts about them for as long as I can remember  

anyway my question is...

What should I expect at an adult assessment for ASD?

what questions do they ask/how long does it take/is it really awkward/frightening

i am really nervous even thinking about it, thank  you

Parents
  • I've heard a lot of different things and the idea I'll need to go to the centre more than once makes me terrified.   But I'm a 22 year old female and I have my first assessment tomorrow. I just wanted to say that I'll give a summary of what happens when I'm home tomorrow and had some second time.

I wasn't asked to send anything in, they sent a developmental questionnaire with the appointment letter. They sent a map, a small leaflet with a little of what to expect - how long it will take etc.  They were very precise in where i was to go when inside the assessment centre. And how to make my arrival known.   It says the initial assessment will take at least 90 minutes but can go on for longer.  I was to bring an older siblings or parent with me if possible. 

I'll post again with what my experience is tomorrow. Hopefully ,it might be reassuring for you. 

• I've heard a lot of different things and the idea I'll need to go to the centre more than once makes me terrified.   But I'm a 22 year old female and I have my first assessment tomorrow. I just wanted to say that I'll give a summary of what happens when I'm home tomorrow and had some second time.

I wasn't asked to send anything in, they sent a developmental questionnaire with the appointment letter. They sent a map, a small leaflet with a little of what to expect - how long it will take etc.  They were very precise in where i was to go when inside the assessment centre. And how to make my arrival known.   It says the initial assessment will take at least 90 minutes but can go on for longer.  I was to bring an older siblings or parent with me if possible. 

I'll post again with what my experience is tomorrow. Hopefully ,it might be reassuring for you. 

Children
  • Also the words "initial assessment " looks like a preliminary one. In which case don't be surprised if you are then given more questionnaires to fill in or further appointment/s but ask them about that ( how many, what, who with etc if this is what you need to know) if they don't tell you. The person you take with you should be one you trust enough to have been able to talk through autism and supports your application; one who is willing, able to offer examples which supports that about you in your early years. They will ask about your early developmental stages and how you mixed with people in childhood. They will probably also ask about how you got on at school. What your interests are. What friends you have and what your relationships are like within your family. Etc They want an overall picture of your life and how it affects you day to day. 

• Thank you for this information!

I wish you the best!

I will be waiting the summary of what happened!

• If you look at the Grampian thread handi-andis describe a different assessment. Every where it seems to be different. Hope you have a positive appointment tomorrow IrkaBlue