My first post (changes in life how do people cope)

Hi :) Hope everybody is well. I've had asperger's well diagnosed about 22 years ago (35 now)

Now there's been a change in my home circumstances (still live with my folks) but that's about to change. How did people.............handle it? (if they had these sort of things going on in their life) I know...............I have been struggling to be honest (Not going to deny that) especially with all the delay's i've had with this (had pretty bad thoughts I won't go into) I got a call the other day though saying that something had finally been found (looks like I have accepted) but now that's going to likely cause other anxiety's in me you know dealing with the rent erm...........money side of the situation and obviously how to look after myself (I have been promised support though but not sure as to what extent it will be at the moment)

Hope this sounds all OK...................?

Parents
  • Hi everyone. I hope you are well. I apologise for not getting back to anyone on here. Things have moved on for me quite dramatically. I have had my bad days and my good days but the last week or so well 2 and a half weeks have been like whoah. For a start I have had some frustrations (my support assessment got cancelled once was rescheduled for 2 days later that did annoy me as I do like my routine and plans) but that has happened and what not. This week though has been the one. I had had another bad day on Tuesday so I did email my contact whose dealing with this to find out what is happening. Thursday (Yesterday) My contact and her well one of her assistants met me at the house and I viewed it for the first time. I've completely fallen in love with it. The living room and my bedroom are huge and I have a wetroom type of shower so minimal cleaning will be required. I have said though that I would rather wait and move in (let the council discuss the community grants to fill up my house with furniture and carpets) and wait to I get certain things sorted out (my gas and electricity tarriff and broadband which I discovered I can get virgin media where I am so that will make a dramatic difference) and also I was given the keys to the place too. Today (Friday) I had another meeting to get my ESA sorted (increase that by 15 per week a extra 60 a month) that will help quite a bit too. All positive moves. I am now awaiting to hear from someone from the simon community (a local charity in Glasgow) to carry out another assessment with me to get all the support from their end set in motion. All in all I am a lot happier than I have been in such a liong time.

• I had my assessment today with the Simon Community from Glasgow. They we're.............wonderful to say the least. Spoke me through everything kept me nice and calm. Arranged a gas and electric tarriff (52 quid for one year via direct debit with E.ON) and tomorrow I get the gas test (turned on basically) things are moving in the right direction. I'm still waiting to hear back about how the community grant assessment went with me but things are definety moving in the right direction :)

• Hi everyone. Wanted to update further. My support network with the simon community still going strong. Meeting fairly regulary which I am pleased about. I've had my rent clarified for the year (nothing to pay) council tax not sure yet waiting for a form for that. Also yesterday I got notification of my community grant. I am going to get carpets for the living room, hall and bedroom. I'm also getting a 2 seater couch, a single bed, washing machine, fridge freezer and cooker. Vynil for the bathroom and kitchen. I had a choice of a chest of drawers or a wardrobe however as I already have a wardrobe I chose a chest of drawers. My family too have been giving me odds and ends here and there (and the simon community gave me a free kettle) the only drawback is I delayed the virgin media installation for a month as the house won't be fully ready to all the carpets and what not are done but I am getting there with everything slowly, All going good :)

• Well done you.glad everything is still going well. Enjoy your new independence,

I am sure once you start talking at the event you will be fine,just tell everyone what help you had from the charity,consider this as your rehearsal. 

Take care.

• Hi everyone. I've been in the house for a few days now. To say it has been a bit of a transistion is a bit of a understatement. Got some food shopping monday (nothing major as I know I am not going to need a lot) erm I had my safer homes visit today to fit alarms to the windows (and a chain lock on the doors) the broadband side I was paying for 300mb but getting more or less 400mb that making a gigantic difference lol I admit sometimes I am feeling lonely but I believe I will get over that (got a 4K HDR Curved TV coming friday christmas gift as my current TV on the way out) and i;m waiting for word back but I believe i've been asked to help out with one of the stalls in the erm housing support service user event coming 14th december (with the charity that helped me) going to be asked to be given my experiences as to speak. No pressure on me lol. I believe I will be fine and very confident now about my future (despite this not going down well on Saturday)

• Hi :) My ESA got re-assessed as was promised. Got a VERY nice £102.90 in my bank account this morning :) (Used some of that to finish sorting the transport side for my holiday next year) I'm HOPING to finally move in at least next friday or saturday (probably realistically saturday) I expect next week might be slightly chaotic but after everything of the last few months I am ready for anything. I know I am getting a more permament support worker in place rather than seeing this and that one. Will be sad to see my original one go since the start but at the same time all ready for the exciting possibilities ahead in my life. Probably realistically I should have waited to the new year to start completely fresh but i'm ready now. I'm confident that I will gave full backup if I need it for the biggest ride i'm about to go through in my life by any stretch of the imagination

• Hey well done with the ESA claim. Don’t fret about the gas company, they often over commit, but they will get it fixed, so nice and warm for you soon.

i keep saying it but you really are doing well, I like the mini updates. 

Keep just doing as you are, everything will settle into a routine once the little things have been sorted, yeah for you. Have a virtual hug () only special people get one of those.

• I've always promised any sort of mini updates and had a nice well................hopefully nice one today (although counteracts slightly with a bad one) The bad I will get out the way first :) My boiler in the house broke down and I've obviously had to phone the gas team to get it resolved but they didn't turn up yesterday and claimed they tried to call me today with me being the first call out (no calls on my mobile though to know they we're on the way) so I am awaiting that tomorrow to be fixed IF they turn up (will have my support team with me at the same time) Now for the good. I got a phone call today from the DWP regarding my ESA claim. My claim has been changed to income related and I will be getting it backdated from 28th September (going to have rather a nice brucie bonus in the bank account thursday or thereabouts) ;) and the amount after that is going to increase by 15.90 per week going to be a huge help financially to me. All in all I believe now the money side of things is sorted :)

• Hi I just realised you are achieving more than me, I am married with two grown up daughters and one grandchild, you would assume I know everything about paying bills,budgeting for life’s essentials, but the reality is that I know very little. My wife took on that role and therefore I haven’t a clue.

If I had to suddenly cope I am not sure I could.

So glad to hear your successful journey as unfortunately so many come onto this forum because of lack of support.

• I may not have to pay council tax. I filled in a form erm..............some sort of possible exemption thing for the doctor to sign off waiting for that back. I did however ask the council for their home insurance (might not be a bad idea) looks like that's only about 3 quid a month probably less than that. Think that's a good idea for my posessions

• very exciting and so glad you are doing so well with it.

Don't forget to get a TV licence. 

• Well done. Lots of decision making and planning in all that. Moving in date is getting nearer. I hope you are looking forward to it as that is the time you can start to make it your own with your personal belongings. 

• I so look forward to your updates,well done as usual. You are an inspiration for others, it was a very challenging time,a lot to take on,

your new place sounds very nice, as I have said before everyone will have little problems so don’t focus to much on them. I am glad you are getting plenty of support from other people, a rare thing these days,

enjoy your new place, be happy but be prepared to accept little niggles are always a possibility. 

Take care my friend,

• Hi everyone :) what a week it has been. (I always promised updates and this is another one) I had my carpets fitted monday (I chose red for my living room erm blue for my bedroom and chocolate for my hall well doorway more or less) they couldn't do anything with my wet room as it would just sink. I chose wooden vinyl for my kitchen (got to say my house now not looking too shabby) Tuesday I had my washing machine/cooker and fridge freezer delivered and installed (wait for the electrician to do the wiring for the cooker) the appliances are not top brands but I do understand the council here have limited resources so I have to respect that. I had my drawers chest of drawers delivered too the only thing I did make a couple of oopsies this week. I had to move my sofa to another place and unintentonally damaged a door in the house that can either be filled or a replacement door I was kinda scared the council would have a major hissy fit over that but the assessor seems ok and my community grant i was thinking oh hell no bed but I unintentonally forgot that I said my sister was going to get me a bed but minor hiccups. This was all part of my settling in visit which I seemed to pass with flying colours (although there seems to be something about that place as everytime someome visits they always need to pee lol) but everything is going great guns I believe got fantasic support from various people and communities and the council so it's all good :)

• Hi everyone :) what a week it has been. (I always promised updates and this is another one) I had my carpets fitted monday (I chose red for my living room erm blue for my bedroom and chocolate for my hall well doorway more or less) they couldn't do anything with my wet room as it would just sink. I chose wooden vinyl for my kitchen (got to say my house now not looking too shabby) Tuesday I had my washing machine/cooker and fridge freezer delivered and installed (wait for the electrician to do the wiring for the cooker) the appliances are not top brands but I do understand the council here have limited resources so I have to respect that. I had my drawers chest of drawers delivered too the only thing I did make a couple of oopsies this week. I had to move my sofa to another place and unintentonally damaged a door in the house that can either be filled or a replacement door I was kinda scared the council would have a major hissy fit over that but the assessor seems ok and my community grant i was thinking oh hell no bed but I unintentonally forgot that I said my sister was going to get me a bed but minor hiccups. This was all part of my settling in visit which I seemed to pass with flying colours (although there seems to be something about that place as everytime someome visits they always need to pee lol) but everything is going great guns I believe got fantasic support from various people and communities and the council so it's all good :)

Children
  • Well done you.glad everything is still going well. Enjoy your new independence,

I am sure once you start talking at the event you will be fine,just tell everyone what help you had from the charity,consider this as your rehearsal. 

Take care.

• Hi everyone. I've been in the house for a few days now. To say it has been a bit of a transistion is a bit of a understatement. Got some food shopping monday (nothing major as I know I am not going to need a lot) erm I had my safer homes visit today to fit alarms to the windows (and a chain lock on the doors) the broadband side I was paying for 300mb but getting more or less 400mb that making a gigantic difference lol I admit sometimes I am feeling lonely but I believe I will get over that (got a 4K HDR Curved TV coming friday christmas gift as my current TV on the way out) and i;m waiting for word back but I believe i've been asked to help out with one of the stalls in the erm housing support service user event coming 14th december (with the charity that helped me) going to be asked to be given my experiences as to speak. No pressure on me lol. I believe I will be fine and very confident now about my future (despite this not going down well on Saturday)

• Hi :) My ESA got re-assessed as was promised. Got a VERY nice £102.90 in my bank account this morning :) (Used some of that to finish sorting the transport side for my holiday next year) I'm HOPING to finally move in at least next friday or saturday (probably realistically saturday) I expect next week might be slightly chaotic but after everything of the last few months I am ready for anything. I know I am getting a more permament support worker in place rather than seeing this and that one. Will be sad to see my original one go since the start but at the same time all ready for the exciting possibilities ahead in my life. Probably realistically I should have waited to the new year to start completely fresh but i'm ready now. I'm confident that I will gave full backup if I need it for the biggest ride i'm about to go through in my life by any stretch of the imagination

• Hey well done with the ESA claim. Don’t fret about the gas company, they often over commit, but they will get it fixed, so nice and warm for you soon.

i keep saying it but you really are doing well, I like the mini updates. 

Keep just doing as you are, everything will settle into a routine once the little things have been sorted, yeah for you. Have a virtual hug () only special people get one of those.

• I've always promised any sort of mini updates and had a nice well................hopefully nice one today (although counteracts slightly with a bad one) The bad I will get out the way first :) My boiler in the house broke down and I've obviously had to phone the gas team to get it resolved but they didn't turn up yesterday and claimed they tried to call me today with me being the first call out (no calls on my mobile though to know they we're on the way) so I am awaiting that tomorrow to be fixed IF they turn up (will have my support team with me at the same time) Now for the good. I got a phone call today from the DWP regarding my ESA claim. My claim has been changed to income related and I will be getting it backdated from 28th September (going to have rather a nice brucie bonus in the bank account thursday or thereabouts) ;) and the amount after that is going to increase by 15.90 per week going to be a huge help financially to me. All in all I believe now the money side of things is sorted :)

• Hi I just realised you are achieving more than me, I am married with two grown up daughters and one grandchild, you would assume I know everything about paying bills,budgeting for life’s essentials, but the reality is that I know very little. My wife took on that role and therefore I haven’t a clue.

If I had to suddenly cope I am not sure I could.

So glad to hear your successful journey as unfortunately so many come onto this forum because of lack of support.

• I may not have to pay council tax. I filled in a form erm..............some sort of possible exemption thing for the doctor to sign off waiting for that back. I did however ask the council for their home insurance (might not be a bad idea) looks like that's only about 3 quid a month probably less than that. Think that's a good idea for my posessions

• very exciting and so glad you are doing so well with it.

Don't forget to get a TV licence. 

• Well done. Lots of decision making and planning in all that. Moving in date is getting nearer. I hope you are looking forward to it as that is the time you can start to make it your own with your personal belongings. 

• I so look forward to your updates,well done as usual. You are an inspiration for others, it was a very challenging time,a lot to take on,

your new place sounds very nice, as I have said before everyone will have little problems so don’t focus to much on them. I am glad you are getting plenty of support from other people, a rare thing these days,

enjoy your new place, be happy but be prepared to accept little niggles are always a possibility. 

Take care my friend,