Romance & Relationships

I suspect this subject has been done to death, but oh well…

I've noticed some ASD people act predominantly asexual. And there goes the second camp, one me and most of my ASD mates belong to, which can be summed into ‘lonely & desperate’.

This really sucks and our situation is honestly dealing great deal of upset and annoyance. It is really depressing. Reading about promiscuous people and unlikely flings drives us mad. Or abusive individuals - it's like how can that prat have someone - and not us, rather nice people?! None of us can stand displays of public affection either, oh no. Idiot shows such as Love Island made us even more angry.

Really though. Why is everyone around us getting all the love and us the “weirdos” don't really matter?

Although myself I've had men hit up on me - but so what? You know what type that was. Perverts who'd tap anything that moves. Not attracted to any of them creeps. I often recommended they look at other women as there is ‘nothing to see here’. I never quite understood why they would take notice in the plain, drab me.

As I'm bi but pretty much predominantly interested in women over men, I always hoped one day maybe a woman hits up on me for once? And one eventually did after very long - but of course she was rather butch, nothing my type. When I shared the experience with my circle, one of them asked me why didn't I agree for at least one date - but I laughed it off and said I don't go out with people I'm not attracted to? I mean why on earth would I?? I'm not that desperate, and teased him that he wouldn't go on a date with Miss Trunchbull clone either!

Because of the nature of the special interest that connects us all - transport & mainly buses, we travel a lot around the city (London). And what does that give? Beauties to stare at and the inability to ever interact with them! And of course it's not like they would ever notice us. I've had too many of these that I feel distraught for being too nondescript to ever stand a chance with.

Interesting fact about us lot is that we all had some sort of big crushes in the past, but blew it in a way or another, or ended up in a hopeless situation - like me for an instance, as my first Love was a teacher from my college, an incredible divine beauty who really made me lose my mind. I would lie if I said I wasn't bitter that this didn't work. Any news reports of students having affairs with their teachers elsewhere makes me want to smash up things, because how are they better than me?? I still treat her boyfriend as my #1 rival. It's that strong.

I've read somewhere that Aspies in love often fixate on the person and declare they are the Only One. Yup, sums me up. It's only because it's been 3 years and I almost died that maybe weakened this madness a little bit.

I've had one serious crush recently which is still current - but I can already say bye-bye as the subject of my affection turned out to be gay, so looks the most there will be is a friendship. Godammit, such a shame as we have so much in common, including being Aspies. Urghh, my luck; I bet I'm only attracted to straight women and gay men, I betcha! How not to lose all hope??

Let me tell you a story. My Great Grandmother whom I've never met, who was almost certainly an Aspie herself based on descriptions my Mum and Auntie gave me, had only gotten married at… 39. Practically unheard of in the late 1940s. To a widower left with small children - and I like children too. She was apparently somewhat 'detached' and 'aloof', never hugged her grandchildren, they never even stayed at the house overnight for some reason. Sound right? She was from a poor family and it was back in the days when dowry was still a thing. That perhaps has stalled potential weddings, but then again one of her sisters went off to Australia to try for a better life, and another of her sisters went to be the priest's housekeeper - whether there was something between them or not (we know how it is sometimes…), it wasn't clear. But you see both the other sisters tried to do something about their fate, but my Great-Grandma as the only just waited for what life brought her. And I really really think genes come back and I might be autistic because of this heritage :-)

Having said that, there goes the Curse of 39. Will I really be this old before I get to have a family?? :-(

Cuz Curse of 21 (both my Mum and Grandma had their first baby at that age, with rushed weddings) seems highly unlikely to touch me lol.

• What an amazing post! I hope you're getting the help and support that you were seeking.

bless you 

• I have struggled with relationships too. I have recently come out of the best of them all though it has left me with a bitter-sweet feeling. It was my behaviours and quirks of my condition that finally caused the break-up as she could no longer cope with the meltdowns and my difficulties sorting out simple things. We had a child to consider as well and I was not creating a happy environment for either of them. But as much as the break up hurt me it was what finally got me to accept who I am and accept that I needed to get help in order to function and be the best dad I can be.

• This was me! Not had many relationships, usually 2 or 3 last 2 dates but the longest I had was one where I (stupidly) got involved with a married woman who I worked with. As the affair progressed we got to know more about each other. But I memorised her life in a chronological timeline, when she met her husband, got married, had kids, also her likes, mobile phone number, car registration number office ext, and work rota!

When the whole thing ended, I couldn't believe how much stuff I'd missed out on whilst messing about with her! It was so weird.

• Although physical beauty may be important for many; it is found usually that creative beauty is essential for most people over the long term. When I read your writings, I behold the product of a beautiful mind; the product of a creative beauty, as which is essential over the long term ~ the truly beautiful you.

• Hi

I’m sorry to hear about the experiences you have gone through and the feelings you have had. We hope you are feeling better at the moment. 

If you are unable to cope with the obsessions you spoke about, it’s very important to tell someone about your feelings or thoughts, especially if they are suicidal. Call your GP and make an urgent appointment. Your GP can make sure you get appropriate help and support.

If it’s outside your GP hours call  111  to reach the NHS 111 service::   http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/NHS-111.aspx

The Samaritans also provide confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day on 116 123, or by email on jo@samaritans.org.

MIND have information pages on coping with self harm or suicidal feelings based on the experiences of people who’ve been through it that you may find helpful.

I hope that is helpful. 

Holly - Moderator

• I've once heard someone say "Go to a bar/pub/nightclub, meet someone". LOL-LOL. Obviously never could work for Aspies. I hate today's music (80s all the way!), and large gatherings, people being loud for no reason, and have a no-alcohol no-drug policy, which only coffee, tea and chocolate are exempt to.

With quality of relationships around, I definitely don't want what my Parents have - even though they're still together, it's been a total soap opera of being on and off, never-ending arguments and insults, forcing the child (me) to take sides… I've had enough of it and now live apart from them, and last thing I want is a repeat of the "fun".

What doesn't help is also being attracted to older (rough age span is 20-50!), extremely good-looking individuals, to whom a young girl with the looks of a ran-over pancake has no chance to impress. They say all the famous lookers wear tons of make-up and get photoshopped a lot, then how do you explain I've seen women miles hotter IRL than any silly celeb or models?? If I was super-smart, witty and intelligent - I was a bit of a nerd but if Cambridge don't want me I am clearly too stupid. And ASD makes me very socially-awkward, and instead end up having conversations in my head only. I come from a working class background and only have small savings - so not rich either. People don't wanna listen about fishes and buses, 2 things I could still speak about with some confidence. What value could I possibly have to anyone? Exactly.

Self-loving? I love to raise the bar for myself sometimes (riding all the London buses was that kind of thing), but this ain't gonna happen. I'm ugly trash who failed so many expectations and her goals, why would anyone have any respect or admiration for that person? When I look in the mirror I feel disgust. It irks me when people naively call me “pretty”. If you've seen what and who I've seen you'd never say such nonsense. I have a huge nose, unclear distinction between my chin and neck, plenty of acne despite normal people growing out of it years ago and taking pills which only made a small difference… Harmonised features and not a wonky face is physical beauty. I won't even mention that I'm flat as a plank and bear no resemblance to real women. Sigh, the list goes on.

• Wanna know my obsession story?

Well, with my Love, I've cut out Her name on my wrist with a blade (more than once) and stated it's better than any lame tattoos because I did it myself; wrote numerous love poems (‘Princess of Kent’ still sounds amazing today), made a special yet secret twitter account where I often made some sort of indirect address towards Her (usually with “my Dear” or about “the Love of my Life”), occasionally made vague references on my main account also. Never messaged her though, I knew that was out of bounds and would land me into trouble.

Funny thing is, She found and read these somehow, even though it's not something She had to do as I genuinely never @ Her or mentioned Her name - in fact K. is all I ever give and treasure it greatly.

Yes I do have a Dropbox folder with Her photos…… 

Something at some point did bother Her as allegations of harassment were made to the police early 2015 and they did caution me - though at first attempt my naive Father told them I'm not in and they were about to leave when I jumped out with a knife to my neck. But of course because I was being an idiot and didn't stab myself straight away, they all teamed up and managed to disarm me -_-

So yes, I wanted to die because my life didn't make sense or had a point without Her near. It still doesn't, but I was so bad at committing suicide (poison and hanging didn't work either) I've not tried anything in a while. I just wait aimlessly to see what life brings me, even though in the past I told myself all it is it's just waiting to die…

• For me it doesn't. Its the single most stable part of my life and my most secure. I am very lucky to have this rock around which I can anchor the rest of my life!  

• Hi Daniel

it is good that you have found a relationship that works for you...  does it also produce and aggravate a lot of insecurity though?

• Hi Alisha,

I have had very few relationships in my life, though I have been with my current partner for 10 years and we have children together. It seems to be a delicate balance, where she is part mum to the children, part carer to me, but I also do a lot of things that fit my strengths (mainoy doing what I am told) and it works well.

It is definately more of a friendship, and possibly the only real friendship I have, but it is more than that. I can be distant from people, and I have trouble getting close to people, but my partner is deately the exception.

She has definately inside my circle of trust, and I cannot imagine life without her (It actually causes me anxiety thinking about it)

I don't think I have ever been capable of what I see in films and on tv as a normal relationship, but I think that should not stop anyone from looking, as I never thought I would be in a long term relationship, never mind being a dad and I am and enjoy it immensly.

Don't throw in the towel just yet, as I think there is always hope, and you do never know what is round the corner! Slight smile

• I have had a couple of relationships. I noticed that I was almost obsessed with them. I could not think about anything else. I could not focus on anything else. I wanted to be all the time with the person together.

So, I am not sure what is better - to be alone or to be obsessed.

I felt overwhelmed.

I do not think that normal people experience normally this.

Have you had similar experience?

• Yes.  Absolutely right.  I've started a new thread about 'Friendships', and that point about being fearful of being hurt is very valid.  Be interested in your thoughts. Slight smile

• Thanks Mr Martian.

the conflict is desperately wanting that connection....but being fearful of being hurt by others...so some of it is just self-imposed isolation.

• Yeah... I'm like that.  I became disconnected from my ex-wife for much of the time we were together.  Same with other people, though.  The only person with whom I really had a connection was my mother, which is why her loss has been so difficult.  Though I'm getting by.  Largely, as I've said, I think it's because my life has made me self-reliant.  There's also the cat, too - and we understand each other!  But my brother, my family... no.  No friends, either.  I prefer it that way, to be honest.

• Hey there, I took into my late 30s to finally get with my SO who is my first love. I've kissed few frogs and met some crazy people along the way.

Attractions are a difficult area, because we are often projecting an idealised image of the person we find attractive rather than seeing the person clearly. That is how people get into abusive relationships...and they stay because they believe that if they like the abuser better, the abuse will stop.

So how do we find good relationships? Start by loving ourselves (big ask, I know). Work on friendships and developing a network we can tolerate. My experience has been I meet people I enjoy the company doing things I'm interested in. If I told you my SO and I got it together doing data management of a health project together you might well guess we are both neurodiverse! Took us 12 years till we ended up in the same household because our life journey was not always in synch.

What is different from my other relationships. We know each other flaws and all. The connection is very deep. I could even say we like each other because of the flaws.

• Disconnected with everyone,.. including my husband...the deal was that we stay together and all he has to do us not lie, no games, and not to treat me like crap..,,,I look after his needs...I.e cleaner, carer, PA, accountant etc..,and get to feel a little less alone.....

• Interesting, an issue I had not thought of, logic dictates and easy resolution though. 

• Alisha said:
    Really though. Why is everyone around us getting all the love and us the “weirdos” don't really matter?

Hi Alisha,

Interesting question - and one that haunted me for most of my teens and twenties, and even up into my thirties.  I suppose the only reassurance I ever seemed to get at the time was seeing people I knew fall in love.... the fall out of it again.  Friends got married, only to be divorced within a few years.  A secret part of me used to feel pleased about this.  To realise that it perhaps wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

I've always struggled with romantic relationships - and being an undiagnosed Aspie throughout much of my life (I was only diagnosed 2 years ago, aged 56, after a lifetime of feeling like an alien: awkward around everybody, and especially women), I never understood what was needed.  Falling in love, too, has always been hard for me in the sense that it completely takes over me.  I obsess about the person.  If ever I'm away from them, the anxiety is so great that I can barely function.  If there's a condition of 'love-sickness', I get it all the time, to a clinical degree.

I was 23 when I met my first girlfriend.  Or rather, she met me.  I was at a nightclub.  I hated places like that - too many people, too much noise - but I couldn't think of any other way of meeting the opposite sex.  In the end, she chatted me up.  She asked for my phone number.  We got together, and I finally found the answer to my dreams.  For six months.  And then it all faded away.  I was vindicated.  It wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  But the romantic in me never gave up hope of finding the one.

I spent the rest of my 20s putting ads in the local papers, with no success.  I wanted a true romantic relationship.  I wasn't into one-nighters.  I didn't want sex for the sake of it.  I wanted the whole package.  I was an idealist, you might say.  At 28, I went to uni.  I thought my chance had arrived at last, to meet people on my wavelength.  No deal.  In 3 years, I met no one.  My next girlfriend came along when I was 31.  Another six month fling.  Then I waited a further 7 years before the next, and that was disastrous.  She was cheating on me from the beginning.  I finally met the woman I was to marry when I was almost 40.  We were together for 5 years.  And then that, too, foundered.  At the time, I couldn't understand it.  I loved her very much - but I couldn't live with her.  We got along better after we separated - but once the divorce was finalised, she wanted nothing more to do with me.  I don't blame her.  It was very painful.  For both of us - though I'm not sure she fully understood that.  She thought I'd just fallen out of love with her.  It was much more complicated.

Since then, I've had a few brief relationships, but nothing lasting.  The most intense - and the only other cohabiting one I've ever had - was with a French woman just over 3 years ago.  She read some of my writing on a writers' forum I was using.  She liked it and got in touch.  We had an intense 3-month correspondence through emails and Facebook.  Eventually, she came over here to meet me.  It was electrifying.  At last, I thought, I'd found the one.  And she was half my age, too - though much more mature in many ways.  Within a month, she'd given up her job and moved over here.  She found work and moved into my flat.  It was great - for a time.  18 months later, it was dead in the water.  She moved out at the beginning of 2016 and I haven't seen her since.

It took me this experience - plus undergoing therapy before getting my diagnosis - to realise what the problems are.  I can't cohabit.  I need control over my space.  The only way something will work for me again is if I have a LAT-type relationship, or I have a big enough house so that we can occupy separate quarters.  The French woman was horrendously untidy, she was also lazy and controlling.  She took over everything - and left me to clean up the mess.  I can't live that way, under any circumstances.

I also realise that I've passed up many opportunities with women because I didn't realise they were opportunities.  I miss a lot of body language - and I don't get 'flirting' at all.  I simply don't see it.  Or I didn't.  I do now - but only because I've learned what to look for.

I no longer actively go out seeking a relationship.  I've been hurt too many times - and have hurt others too many times in return.  I no longer wish that kind of thing, either on myself or another person.  I'm much happier alone.  Sure... I still have my feelings and desires.  I'm human, after all - if 'different' from most others.  But there it is.  I have to do, really, what's best for me.  The emotional turmoil is too much otherwise.  I've only ever been driven to desperate extremes - I needn't elaborate, I don't think - because of thwarted love, and loss.

Sorry... this doesn't really help you, does it.  I understand your feelings and yearnings, though - and your frustration.  All I can say is... don't give up hope.  39 is still young, even though it doesn't feel it.  I know that sounds crass - and I know about the body-clock ticking away if you want to raise a family.  But it's the best I can say.  I still don't give up hope, and I'm now 58.  I find my attitude to it all has changed a lot, though.  I guess I've had enough of the hardships and heartbreaks with romantic relationships to know that if it's going to happen again, it'll happen when the time is right.  I won't look for it, either.  It'll come to me. 

I've also known a few 'one-and-onlys' - most notably my ex-wife and the French woman - who weren't that at all.  I've learned from that.  They've been tough lessons, but probably ultimately worth it.

All the best to you,

Tom