Can People with Aspergers add Value to business?

Aspergers people adding value to business?

I wrote an article some time ago and published it on LinkedIn.  It asks the question: "Do people with Aspergers (ASD) have a place in business?"

I wrote it mainly out of personal frustration of working for and with people who do not / did not understand the social issues a person on the spectrum can face (and make the neurotypical person 'feel' bad in the process).  Typically, the actual work was overlooked in favour of pointing out socially unacceptable communications.

I remember watching the programme "Lie to me" a while back and thinking, yep, that's how I am.  My wife told me this is why I land myself in hot water!

So, if this article helps anyone and can be understood from a neurotypical perspective too, I am happy to help!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/do-people-asperger-syndrome-asd-have-place-business-carl

Parents
  • I have no problem with agreeing that people on the spectrum can add value. However, there are people on the spectrum who really struggle to add value. I'm not sure that it is useful to generalise and try and persuade people that they should expect the behaviours that you have described from someone who has Aspergers. There is a saying that "when you have met someone with Aspergers then you have met someone with Aspergers". We are all different and I have met some people on the spectrum who I really don't want to work with as well as those who are really useful.

PS The rules of the forum advise against sharing personal details. There was a discussion about this recently that you might want to have a look at. community.autism.org.uk/.../45509

• I have no problem with agreeing that people on the spectrum can add value. However, there are people on the spectrum who really struggle to add value. I'm not sure that it is useful to generalise and try and persuade people that they should expect the behaviours that you have described from someone who has Aspergers. There is a saying that "when you have met someone with Aspergers then you have met someone with Aspergers". We are all different and I have met some people on the spectrum who I really don't want to work with as well as those who are really useful.

PS The rules of the forum advise against sharing personal details. There was a discussion about this recently that you might want to have a look at. community.autism.org.uk/.../45509

Children
No Data