Asperger United Magazine........

Hi,

What are peoples thougts on the end of the Paper version of the Aspergers United Magazine?

I find it a little odd hta the announcement was made without FIRST seeking the opnions oof the readers. There is a questionaire included but he announcement is definate that ther will no longer be a Paper version. The next edition will be he final one and will sibsequently be only available online.

It is a fact that Adults with Asperegers have the least of all services fro people on the Spectrum. So why make savings there? maybe because other people like myself with Aspergers will not kick up enough fuss for anyone to care. It is an easy option. We will just go on struggling through life. Just about coping, living, maybe unhappy and then die. We often don't look any different and nobody cares.

I am guessing that that many magazines probably endup  Proffessionals postboxes and never get read. For many though it is an important and valid publication. Recieving it really matters. For me it is a thing that makes me feel like I exist.

I really do struggle to talk with people or communicate in general. i don't really have a voice. I can't do it. I am sure others are the same and will not be head because also by their nature they cannot communicate what would be needed to keep the paper version of Aspergers United in print. It a little like telling someone in a wheelchair to use the stairs.

I don't understand why proffessonals cannot be charged for the publication or that the paper quality is reduced (making the item lighter) or making the publication a smaller A5 format which would reduce postage costs too. Or making it totally black and white. Or having a limit on the number of words per article. Or maybe post all the copies to a lcal office and let subscribers collect there copy locally. But NO, none of these things have been tried......instead it is just been stopped.

I think that it is fundametally wrong that the anouncement to stop the Paper version was made before first seeking feedback or considering savings that would enable it to be run on a cheaper footing.

NAS ia a charity. What percentage of donations is spent on Adult Aspergers? What percentage of cuts affects adults with Asergers? I would really like to see these figures so that I could make a true evaluation of the decisions to make the 'Savings' gained by the stopping of the Paper version of Aspergers United.

• Hey Diddy D, that was all great to know. Keep up the good work. Smiley

• Where do I get one of these magazines and back issues if possible? Tactile the paper touch is important.

• My understanding is that it already is. But some people do  not have access to the internet, or if they do, not necessarily a printer. I currently do not have an operational printer. The fact remains that some people for a variety of reasons, will wish for, and need, a paper copy of the magazine.

The NAS is a third sector campaigning, educative, pastoral, supportive and charitable organization. As such I feel sure it ought to demonstrate its commitment to improving the lives if those with ASD and their families - and maintain a paper copy of Asperger United.

I am confident this will happen Slight smile

• Could this not be made available in .pdf format so people could print on demand?

• Hi Holly Slight smile

Thanks for replying. I hope the paper copy of Asperger United will remain. Not everyone has access to the internet, or likes reading stuff online. A paper copy should always be available for those that want one. To me it is taking into consideration the differing needs and wishes of people with ASD.

• Hi

We appreciate that you have questions about the Asperger United magazine, and to get the answers to your questions you can email the Asperger United team on: asp.utd@nas.org.uk

I hope they are able to help.

Thanks,

Holly - Moderator

• How many people employed by the NAS, or who have responsibility for running projects, the forum, making decisions on Asperger United etc, have ASD themselves? How many people with ASD have any real or direct input in management and policy decisions? 

I am disappointed by what I have encountered so far.

• I agree about the website/forum, I came back here, as after the new look site things seemed all over the place, only thing I can't see a box at the end of the threads. I try and reply to a new member even if it's a hello and welcome. AS for AU it would be good to have the option of either a paper copy or an online one!!!   

• I get the paper copy of the magazine, and quite look forward to reading it. It has already proved helpful. I am newly diagnosed with ASD after years and years of rejection, exclusion, suffering and hardship.

If the magazine is definitely NOT going to be available in paper form anymore - despite a so-called consultation - then I am disappointed. But, to be very candid, not at all surprised.

My main reasons for maintaining this are;

1. The NAS website is not the easiest to navigate, and can be trying for some people; and

2. After signing up to the forum and posting an introductory thread, I received not a single reply or welcome - not even from a member of staff or Admin.

How much regard is there for ASD here then? Website not the easiest to use, no reply or welcome foe some new members, and the paper copy of the magazine being discontinued too.

Impressive.

• I have just read the latest edition, having learned about this magazine from reading this thread. I think it is a geat magazine and though I am sad that printed magazines are being lost all the time, the online version is very easy to use and very clear. I think it would be good to be able to provide paper copies for people unable to access it online, as this publication could be a valueable portal to people who would not otherwise have one. Could it be made available for libraries, or could they print a normal and large copy for people to read?

• Thank you for sharing your feedback on the changes to the Asperger United magazine.  We understand the concerns you have raised, and if you would like more information on the changes to the publication you are welcome to email the Asperger United magazine directly - asp.utd@nas.org.uk.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• Sorry as a relative  newbie here what is/was Asperger United, is it available online, I;d like to read it. I gather most publications seem more geared to kids on the autistic spectrum. There doesn't seem to be much out there for adults much over 25!!!