Should I disclose my Asperger's syndrome on my job application

I am a 23 year old with Asperger's syndrome trying to find work (and have been for some time) and always have the dilemma of whether I should disclose my Aspergers on my job application,wait until during the interview, after the interview if i get the job or not at all. At the moment I usually mention it in the equlity monitoring part of the application form and at the interview if a question is relevant (for example if they ask to explain a difficulty I had to overcome)

my dad is now advised me to keep quiet about the Asperger's as he feels its none of the employers business and I have no legal obligation to do so. However my mother advises me to declare it to them as she feels it is important that they know.

Am I best to tell employers or keep quiet about it? 

If i don't tell employers am I liable to be sued or dismissed etc further down the line if they found out?

Parents
  • If i don't tell employers am I liable to be sued or dismissed etc further down the line if they found out?

No, that would be disability discrimination, it somewhat depends on their view though, if they were to try and get rid of you they were probably someone who wouldn't employ you in the first place.

I'd leave it off, mostly because it's not relevant, the person you are will come across in your interview, if they like you they will employ you, if they don't then they won't. 

• If i don't tell employers am I liable to be sued or dismissed etc further down the line if they found out?

No, that would be disability discrimination, it somewhat depends on their view though, if they were to try and get rid of you they were probably someone who wouldn't employ you in the first place.

I'd leave it off, mostly because it's not relevant, the person you are will come across in your interview, if they like you they will employ you, if they don't then they won't. 

Children
No Data