The Music Thread

There are members here very into music, particularly from past decades, so I thought maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

I've lived within 6 decades of music.

My favourite is the 1970s and I think the best (debatable of course).

I've realised since my diagnosis that for 20 years (70s and 80s) music was my 'special interest'.

I've not had such an avid interest since the 90s and in fact, I find the associations with music mostly too painful to be able to listen.

Music is a sure trigger to memories for me and often the associated pain.

So, why the 70s?

Tamla Motown, Soul, Disco, Reggae, Punk, Glam Rock, New Wave....

Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Elton John, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Pink Flloyd, Velvet Underground, Gary Numan, B52s...

What are your favourite eras and what do you consider the (debatable) 'best' ?

Please feel free to talk about anything music related here including classical.

Notes

Parents
  • Texas x2

Madness x6

Chrissie Hynde

Paloma Faith

Billy Ocean 

Blondie

ELO.

Bellowhead

Jamie Cullum x2

Elton John

Ststus Quo

The lightning Seeds

Gregory Porter

Travis

LeAnn Rymes

The Corrs

Will Young

Leona Lewis

kate Rusby

Bryan Adams

Rod Stewart

Jerry Lee Lewis

Little Richard 

Chuck Berry

ABC

Smokey Robinson

Kylie & Jason

Barry Manilow 

Azwad

Jools Holland

Cold Play

Olly Alexander

Stereophonics x2

James Blunt.

Steel Eye Span

and not forgetting Peters & Lee

• Great list.

Peters + Lee ... mmm ..

I'd love to have seen some of those.

You've reminded me actually that I've also seen Kate Rusby (not on my list).

It's a hard choice, but out of those, Elton John doing Yellow Brick Road would be my favourite I think.

• Great list.

Peters + Lee ... mmm ..

I'd love to have seen some of those.

You've reminded me actually that I've also seen Kate Rusby (not on my list).

It's a hard choice, but out of those, Elton John doing Yellow Brick Road would be my favourite I think.

Children
  • I’m very much the same with supermarket Christmas music, it just makes me want to scream. My wife also worked in an Etam on Saturdays. You’re lucky your name isn’t Mandy!

Bank holidays are so unsettling , my wife is working, it isn’t a normal weekday or weekend. It’s just wrong, it just takes me back to school holidays, weeks of never seeing another person unless they we’re family. I would listen to other children when school returned, they would recount their adventures.. I suppose it’s another instance of just not knowing why we were different. I was jealous of their adventures but wouldn’t have wanted to have joined in.

Sorry maudlin now, I shall go and work on some metal before mother rises from her bed. ( nearly said box)

• One of only two Wilburys left

That's very sad.

Getting older isn't much fun but it's better than the alternative.

I can't bear BM because when I worked in Etam on a Saturday as a teenager his Copacabana album was played on repeat and I felt tortured by it.

In fact, I'm still in therapy now Blush

• I did enjoy Elton, he is in the top 3, Yellow Brick Road is my favourite, the second would be Tiny Dancer.

Barry Manilow is a true showman and non stop. The best was ELO, they played every hit and the light show was amazing. One of only two Wilburys left. Frowning2