The Music Thread

There are members here very into music, particularly from past decades, so I thought maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

I've lived within 6 decades of music.

My favourite is the 1970s and I think the best (debatable of course).

I've realised since my diagnosis that for 20 years (70s and 80s) music was my 'special interest'.

I've not had such an avid interest since the 90s and in fact, I find the associations with music mostly too painful to be able to listen.

Music is a sure trigger to memories for me and often the associated pain.

So, why the 70s?

Tamla Motown, Soul, Disco, Reggae, Punk, Glam Rock, New Wave....

Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Elton John, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Pink Flloyd, Velvet Underground, Gary Numan, B52s...

What are your favourite eras and what do you consider the (debatable) 'best' ?

Please feel free to talk about anything music related here including classical.

Notes

Parents
  • I don't have a favourite decade, but I've come to appreciate some of the music created by bands in the 70's, individual singers too.

I like medieval choral music too, lots of people don't, including the people I live with including animals, my old dogs used to sing along with it, which didn't exactly enhance my listeniing experience. The could just about cope with Medieval Babes.

I rarely listen to music anymore, partly because I want to be totally alone and be surrounded and absorbed by the sound and people interupt me. Partly because I've lost my singing voice and singing was such a huge part of my enjoyment of music, not anything formal, just being able to sing along, like a backing singer, or duet.

I dislike background music, I think it disrespectful to the musicians who have created a pice of work only to have it talked over and not really heard. I often can't hear both background music and conversation properly.

Some sorts of music make me feel physically ill, like soft rock, death metal that just sounds like a load of demons vomiting, C&W and a lot of pop music.

• I don't have a favourite decade, but I've come to appreciate some of the music created by bands in the 70's, individual singers too.

I like medieval choral music too, lots of people don't, including the people I live with including animals, my old dogs used to sing along with it, which didn't exactly enhance my listeniing experience. The could just about cope with Medieval Babes.

I rarely listen to music anymore, partly because I want to be totally alone and be surrounded and absorbed by the sound and people interupt me. Partly because I've lost my singing voice and singing was such a huge part of my enjoyment of music, not anything formal, just being able to sing along, like a backing singer, or duet.

I dislike background music, I think it disrespectful to the musicians who have created a pice of work only to have it talked over and not really heard. I often can't hear both background music and conversation properly.

Some sorts of music make me feel physically ill, like soft rock, death metal that just sounds like a load of demons vomiting, C&W and a lot of pop music.

Children