The Music Thread

There are members here very into music, particularly from past decades, so I thought maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

I've lived within 6 decades of music.

My favourite is the 1970s and I think the best (debatable of course).

I've realised since my diagnosis that for 20 years (70s and 80s) music was my 'special interest'.

I've not had such an avid interest since the 90s and in fact, I find the associations with music mostly too painful to be able to listen.

Music is a sure trigger to memories for me and often the associated pain.

So, why the 70s?

Tamla Motown, Soul, Disco, Reggae, Punk, Glam Rock, New Wave....

Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Elton John, Bowie, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Pink Flloyd, Velvet Underground, Gary Numan, B52s...

What are your favourite eras and what do you consider the (debatable) 'best' ?

Please feel free to talk about anything music related here including classical.

Notes

Parents
  • I'm a few years behind you. I have that music trigger thing that you have. It's not quite so broad, and is more just a few specific songs. I wrote on there recently that I probably would be the archetypal Radiohead fan, but never got into them because High and Dry can unleash emotion in me from the time that I can't bare. I'm totally over the events of the time, but that does not matter.

The very first record that I heard where it was my own taste and not my mum's or elder brother's was Tubeway Army "Are Friends Electric?" The synth sound was amazing to me and I still love some early Gary Numan (though was never a long term fan - only those early singles)

I was then seriously into Adam And The Ants (like half the country!)

By the time I hit my teens it was The Cure, Depeche Mode, Japan, Propaganda, Echo & The Bunnymen, OMD, Joy Division/New Order, Kate Bush and China Crisis. I love all these still to this day, and can listen without feeling bad.

I lost touch with music in the 90s, just like you. Apart from Bjork, who I adore.

Various life events propelled me to the dark side and I became a Trance addict on the electronic dance rave scene in the late 90s Joy Believe it or not Donna Summer / Gorgio Moroder's "I Feel Love" is technically Trance (probably first ever!) and hasn't been bettered.

• Donna Summer / Gorgio Moroder's "I Feel Love"

I can't believe that song came out when it did. It has never aged.

Reply Children
No Data